server and g3

R

RedRAIDER4life

i was wanting to know if a g3 will run os x server or if it will be like crap

OP
M

meltbanana314

From Apple:

Requirements - Xserve, Power Mac G5, G4 or G3, iMac, eMac or Mac mini computer; 128MB of RAM, at least 256MB of RAM for high-demand servers running multiple services; built-in USB; 4GB of available disk space.

What kind of services are you planning to run on your G3? A regular install of OS X can do a lot (like hosting and serving up websites for example) so an expensive OS X server license may not be necessary.

OP
R

RedRAIDER4life

well i know that regular os x will do lots...but i want web, mail, ftp, dhcp, stuff like that and i found it for cheap on ebay....i just wanted to know if it would be sluggish or not i know what it said on the apple website but i wanted to know if anyone has ever done it before

OP
M

meltbanana314

As long as it has sufficent RAM (I'd say more than 640MB) and a high speed connection it should run fine with regular OS X or OS X Server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
What speed processor has it got? I would be hesitant to go below 400MHz.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.