• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

IMAC for File Cut ?

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to buy a mac for editing my videos captured with a dv camera. I know there are two edition video software: iMovie and File Cut Pro. My question is:

With this Imac specificactions is enough to have a good performance with File Cut Pro??:

IMAC
Core 2 Duo Intel 2,66 GHz
4GB RAM
1TB HardDisk
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english! O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
There is also the option of Final Cut Express.

Final Cut Pro is part of Final Cut Studio which currently costs $999. Final Cut Express costs $199. Final Cut Studio is a complete package with advanced tools as well as advanced DVD authoring. Final Cut Express is a good editor, but doesn't offer DVD authoring (you'd still need to use something like iDVD or MovieGate or Toast to author) or the more advanced features of the extra software within FCS. I'd say really look at what you want to do before committing to buy FCS as it is a financial investment and if all you really need is a timeline and better HD support, FCE might be a better option and then you can still use iDVD to author.

There have been many threads on this recently - that machine will work for iMovie, Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio. There are some advanced features in Color (a part of FCS) that will most likely not work due to the amount of ram available to the video chipset.

A better option is having a discrete graphics subsystem with dedicated video ram @ 512mb. But, what you have listed will work - I use a similar class system for some of my editing on FCS2 (current version purchasable is FCS3) but with the nature of the system and graphics you will have fewer real time playback effects before rendering is required. Make sure your external hard drive is in a Firewire chassis and not USB if you can avoid it as you will get superior performance with a FW800 drive hooked up for your editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.