• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac Mini Media Center

Reaction score
hi,
I want to buy a mac mini for a mac mini media center but I dont know what kind of mac mini I atleast need. I know someone who sells a mac mini.
Processor: G4 - 1420 MHz Memory: 1000 MB Harddisk: 80 GB.
Would this work? Or do I need more ram, dual core processor or something else?

(Btw Im upgrading the harddisk to 1TB & sorry about the bad english, im dutch)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I wouldn't buy a G4 Mac Mini for a media center.

Buy an Intel Mac Mini - preferably a current generation with a nvidia 9400m chipset for graphics.

You can use Front Row, but I'd suggest something more flexible like using Plex which will play more media formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I have a new Mini with Plex. Works great. In other words - I totally agree with Nethfel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I agree with Nethfel. Mainly because HD content likely won't play, or play well, on the G4 version of the mini. I like the idea of being able to play full 1080p content without hiccups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.