I threw Out java on accident

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been having a problem with java, The other day I threw away and EMPTIED :Shouting: some stuff in my applications that I thought were useless. It turns out that I need to use Elluminate Live Today but It tells me I dont have an application to launch it with! I use a Mac OS X 4.8. I threw Out java on accident! And when I press Software Update Nothing happens! HELP!!!!! :Oops:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Here is Java for 10.4, Release 9. This appears to be the newest version of Java for 10.4. You will have to update to 10.4.11 to install this (which you should do anyway).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Did you quit all your browsers before installing?

It appears that Elluminate Live depends on Java Web Start. If you open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and enter the command "javaws" (without the quotation marks), what appears in the Terminal window? If you get "-bash: javaws: command not found", you don't have the Java Web Start launcher available (or at least in your path). Let's start here though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, when you moved stuff from your Applications folder, you wouldn't have deleted Java because Java resides in a folder outside of /Applications. For instance, the java compiler (javac) resides in /usr/bin along with java (the runtime executable/interpreter) and javaws (Java Web Start launcher). Execute "whereis javaws" (w/o quotation marks) in the Terminal - it's possible it's no longer in /usr/bin for some reason.

What does "whereis java" return when you execute it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the command in my previous post returned nothing (ie. you executed it and nothing came back), then javaws doesn't exist in "the standard binary directories" (see man page here). The directories searched by the whereis utility on my machine are /usr/bin, /bin, /usr/sbin and /sbin as told by the "sysctl user.cs_path" command. I would imagine it is the same for you. While this may be more info than you needed, it's for anyone who might be interested.

Here is one more technique that can be used to find something. Execute the following in a Terminal:
Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
This will ask for your password. Give it some time to execute. After executing that, execute the following:
Code:
locate javaws
Paste back here what that prints to the Terminal window.

If that returns nothing, this command probably won't either but it can't hurt to try. Executing the following command will search your root directory (equivalent of C: on Windows) for javaws:
Code:
sudo find / -name javaws
This will take a while and may ask you for you password.

I find it hard to believe that you deleted this file - you would have know if you deleted javaws as it's in a directory that is hidden by default in Finder. If you did indeed delete it, the "copy" of javaws in /usr/bin is actually just an alias. So, if it isn't there, we can recreate it. For now, just try the aforementioned searches.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open up the application called Terminal in /Applications/Utilities. Copy and paste the aforementioned commands into the Terminal window one at a time and press enter after each.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok so I opened up the OniOutliner that I found by Terminal and entered all the commands and nothing happened :Oops:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I opened up the OniOutliner that I found by Terminal and entered all the commands and nothing happened :Oops:
What's OniOutliner?

If both the locate and find commands returned nothing, then javaws doesn't exist. You did somehow delete it but I don't know how. Let's try something else because I find it very hard to believe you somehow deleted everything that has to do with Java. What are the contents of the /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions folder? To get there, open up "Macintosh HD" on your desktop and go from there.

One thing I also notice is that earlier you say that you downloaded the Java update I linked to earlier but did not install it. Did you install it? Did you update to 10.4.11?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes you do. You must have this directory or your machine wouldn't be working (if it was, it wouldn't be working very well). See here for an explanation for the directories on your Mac. Note the description for /System: "System related files, libraries, preferences, critical for the proper function of Mac OS X".

Click on your desktop and push Shift-Command-G at the same time. In the ensuing box, enter "/System" (w/o the quotes) and click Go. Now, navigate to Library > Frameworks > JavaVM.framework > Versions. What is in that directory?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something should - it should either open up Finder or let you know that the folder was not found. Try it again but replace /System with just /.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like you're out of luck. It might be time to do an Archive & Install of Mac OS X. This way, you'll preserve all of your applications/settings and data, but get a fresh install of the OS (which seems to be badly broken).

More information here:

Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.