Electrifying MBP

Reaction score
I don't know if this is normal, but when (when I'm typing) the inside of my forearm, you know the really sensitive part, touches My MacBook Pro I can feel this kinda stingy sensation, just really tiny jolts of electricity.
I dont feel this when I touch it with my fingers, understandably... just the sensitive parts.
Somehow I get the feeling it's got something to do with faulty insulation.

Anyone had the same experience?
Should I have someone at Apple take a look at it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't know if this is normal, but when (when I'm typing) the inside of my forearm, you know the really sensitive part, touches My MacBook Pro I can feel this kinda stingy sensation, just really tiny jolts of electricity.
I dont feel this when I touch it with my fingers, understandably... just the sensitive parts.
Somehow I get the feeling it's got something to do with faulty insulation.

Anyone had the same experience?
Should I have someone at Apple take a look at it?

Are you sure that your arm isn't falling asleep? ;D

You sort of get that same "tingly" feeling when your arm is starting to "fall asleep".

You could also be pinching a nerve in some weird way with your forearm resting on the edge of the laptop.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it is an electrical charge, you should definitely go to Apple and have it fixed. No product should cause you pain or discomfort, however minimal it may be.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No product should cause you pain or discomfort, however minimal it may be.

Of course that depends if the product is designed to cause the user pain or discomfort! Some people like that sort of thing!;D

But when it comes to computers...I totally agree!

- Nick

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
No my arm is wide awake, or maybe just the rest of me is asleep....hmm
No it's like a needle is pressed to my skin, only very gently, it does'nt hurt but it's just (like pigoo3 said) discomforting at best (or worst).

Anyways thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some folks (search this forum) have reported receiving mild shocks from their metal cased (aluminum) MacBook Pros. Whether it's due to improper grounding of your electrical outlets or the machine itself, you should do as Van suggested and have it checked out by an Apple tech. If the machine checks out OK, you need to have an electrician test your outlets at home or you can do it yourself by buying an outlet tester at Home Depot or Lowes. You may have a circuit which is not properly grounded.

Regards.

Reaction score
it does'nt hurt but it's just (like pigoo3 said) discomforting at best (or worst).
It's best to make sure the "discomfort at best" doesn't turn into "death at best" at some point :p

Reaction score
If it is an electrical charge, you should definitely go to Apple and have it fixed. No product should cause you pain or discomfort, however minimal it may be.
Unless it is running Windows. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have a friend who has same problem so i took my MBP along to her place and swapping mine for hers she gets the shock off mine as well and i have never had it happen. After some protracted dealing with Apple service tech it appears that the design includes some sort of floating earth and it is a known issue but largely ignored. Solution was to not use MBP with bare feet on tile floor or use rubber mat under your feet. Guess it just means that i am insensitive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And incidentally we had her placed checked by a sparky and it all came up clean - no electrical supply problems at all. If i took my shoes off and placed the inner aspect of wrist on the laptop i did get the smallest of sensation on both hers and mine.

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
Unless it is running Windows. ;D

Hey, don't get me started on that one, now there's a jolt I don't wanna feel no more.:D

It's best to make sure the "discomfort at best" doesn't turn into "death at best" at some point :p

Got a strong heart, I'm married, and I had a windows laptop before I started with Mac, so Bring it on!!!:D:Dlol

Reaction score
And incidentally we had her placed checked by a sparky and it all came up clean - no electrical supply problems at all. If i took my shoes off and placed the inner aspect of wrist on the laptop i did get the smallest of sensation on both hers and mine.
My friend once complained that my ipod shocked him and ruined his speakers which we'd set up on it. His speakers WERE ruined, but it turned out he'd licked the iPod. And his teeth felt fine again after an hour or so.

... though I guess this is off topic now :I

conclusion: make sure it's safe. There's no need to take any risks :)

OP
Sur3Mac
Reaction score
He had licked the ipod.... it seems it did'nt ruin his appetite.:)lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.