No LED light, battery says not charging but...

Reaction score
OK so I'm stumped. I just got my MacBook in Feb of this year- I use it daily normally I don't charge it until the reserve warning pops up and hadn't had a single problem until yesterday.

I was going to do a long video call so I figured I'd plug in to be safe and I noticed the LED light wasn't on (not green or orange). The computer said the power source was the adapter and that it was not charging. HOWEVER it has seemed to pick up the tiniest charge- in about 12 hours it's gone up about 30% for the battery life.

I just moved 2 weeks ago with the kids so I really can't afford to have to pay Apple for help if I can avoid it so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
The macbook uses a Lithium battery which will last longer over it's lifetime if you do small top up charges rather then the full charge. ie several boosts up to 100% from 75% rather then 1 charge from 5% up to 100%. It could be that your battery has died.

Reaction score
I had this problem just last week. I have one month left of warranty so I brought it into Apple and they said they have to replace the internal board on the inside of my mac (the one that the LED light connects to). I also suspect it had something to do with battery which hasn't increased more than 90% since this happened.

I also have problems connecting to my internet using a wire (which is connected to the same internal board as the LED), but able to use the USB ports fine.

My parts from Apple arrived, so hopefully I'll have answers shortly. Apple said this repair would have cost me about a grand if I wasn't under warranty.

What also sucks is that I was sharing a battery cord with a friend, while I was trying to figure out was happening, and now he has the same problem. Could the battery cord have killed the two computers? I'm so confused.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.