Rubbishly slow internet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 250Gb, Intel based.
Hi all,

I have an iMac (intel) with a Netgear DG834PN RangeMax router. Usually this combination has worked fine but lately it's been absolutely dreadfull.

What seems to be happening it that when I open a site the router/mac will sit for ages trying to open the site and then time out. If you refresh, it will generally aopen the site but navigation is slow (and I mean slow, at least a couple of minutes to load a page, if you ever get there). If I look on the router it's telling me that I'm getting near to a full 8 meg download (which makes me suspicious to begin with) although on line speed apps suggest I'm getting more like 3-4 which I'm more inclined to believe.

Are there any utilities that I can run to try to diagnose where the bottle neck may be?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to solve it,

although i've got a MacBook Pro, and I also have the same router as you, in my view the internet is really fast, I get better speeds on my Mac then I do on my PC.. and a much better internet service..

Strange problem there.

Possibly, try restarting it proberly, in the router admin configuration..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try installing Firefox and see if you get the same slow speeds and timeouts. Let us know. Trying to see if it's just Safari or the internet in general on that system.

Is this Safari where you are getting those slow speeds?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 250Gb, Intel based.
Sorry, should have said. Firstly it was Safari that was really slow and Firefox was blazingly fast. Now Firefox has put its feet up as well doesn't want to play...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Try resetting your router back to factory settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.