Gray screen on boot - boot up commands not working

Reaction score
Morning All,

Firstly - let me say, yes i have looked and searched threads on having a grey screen and i have still not found the answer i need.

ok - here goes

My 2007 Macbook 15" recently froze while browsing the net, i did a forced shutdown.

Then when i turned the Macbook back on it had just the grey screen (no apple logo etc)

I CANNOT use any of the boot up commands (safe boot, SUM, verbose etc)

I did manage to use the Install disk to get Disk Utilities up and running however is had the following error

Checking HFS Volume
Cannot repair 1 HFS volume

or something similar.

I can get into SUM when i have the install disk in however when i try to fsck the hard disk it only checks for errors on the Install CD (with no errors obviously) - not the hard drive. For some reason it seems the hard drive does not get recognised (even though it appears in disk utility)

Is there any way i can either use SUM or Terminal to check for errors on the hard drive - bearing in mind i can only access these when i have the install CD in.

Any help would be much appreciated - i'm on this all day so i can answer questions etc

Many Thanks

Chris

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks - however i have tried running fsck but it only checks the install CD not the hard drive.

What does resetting the firmware do? Will it affect things saved on hard drive?

I basically have lots of photos which i can't bear to lose (yes i know i should have backed up) i'd be happy to archive and install but don't want to risk wiping HD.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Resetting NVRAM does nothing to the hard drive - this is related to the system board in case it is the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Disk Utility has reported a fatal drive error. DiskWarrior 4.1.1 may fix the problem but at US$99 cheaper to go with a new drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.