Keyboard and battery issues

Reaction score
This is going to be a dual-issue thread, so I apologize in advance. I have a Late 2007 Macbook Pro 15" 2.4GHz. It is out of warranty, and I live 150 miles from the nearest Apple Store.

1) Battery. I'm sure many of you have heard of the famous Battery Firmware 1.3 Upgrade problem: random shutdowns on battery power. First it started shutting down at around 40% charge. I assumed it was a dead battery cell. Then it was 60%. Now it's anywhere from 60-90%. Immediately upon shutdown, I can check the battery status, and it will show a charge at where ever it was when it shut down. I have heard many cases where it is simply a faulty battery, or a battery damaged by the firmware update. I have heard other cases where the random shutdowns will happen even with a new battery and that one must roll back to a previous firmware version. Coconut Battery says it has 81% life with about 160 cycles. Any thoughts?

2) I realize this is already covered in one of the sticky threads, but I figured I'd tack it on anyway. Feel free to disregard it if you wish. My keyboard is not functioning (properly). So, recently, my keyboard has been "missing" keystrokes, which, from the firmness of the keys they were missing I had assumed was some sort of crumb suck under the key. Whenever my Macbook becomes dirty, I have been using Clorox disinfectant wipes to clean the chassis and the top of the keys (many of you are now making sharp intakes of breath). Well, if any of you use Clorox wipes often, you know that the wipes nearest to the bottom of the tube are far more saturated with liquid. I did not realize this until I slopped a bunch of disinfectant fluids all over my keyboard. After cleaning and wiping, I noticed that typing became increasingly difficult. Sometimes it wanted to type the letter "m" nonstop, other times, I would type "n" and get "nm" or some other combination of strange keystrokes. It became so unusable, I decided that to restart. This was fine, until I realized that typing my login password would be impossible while my keyboard was intent on doing it for me all by itself. So, I figured that the moisture must have been bad for my keyboard, took out the battery and let it dry for a few hours. Now, the keyboard simply will not type. Ouch. Did I destroy the circuit board, or sound I give it the standard 72 hour wait?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Plenty of threads on this forum re battery issues and my first question - have you been calibrating your battery? 2) Try plugging in an external keyboard to see if there are deeper issues than a problematic MBP keyboard.

OP
Kjølen
Reaction score
Are you suggesting calibrating my battery as a possible solution, or previous calibrations being a possible reason for the problem? I have not done so. Also, interesting development. With no external keyboard plugged in, the internal one does not work, as usual. When I plug a USB keyboard in, it once again begins typing out an unending string of letters (or letter, cannot tell since I can't get passed the login screen). When I unplug the USB keyboard, it immediately stops. Plugging it back in again, and it resumes inputting letter(s).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.