Macbook Overheating and Fan Making Loud Noises

Reaction score
My macbook always overheats when I'm watching videos -- either on the internet or on iTunes. It seems to have no problem with youtube, but it overheats when I'm watching TV shows on sites like megavideo or watchtvsitcoms (before it got shut down..)

Anyway I don't know what to do.. it makes really loud annoying fan sounds and gets super hot (even when I put it on a stand or something to prop it up).

If I take it into the Apple Genius bar, will they be able to fix it?

Thanks in advance
Jackie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Overheats?

You mean it gets hot or you mean it gets hot enough that it shuts down the machine? If it's shutting down the machine - take it in.

If the fans are making a noise other than the sound of aid being blown out - take it on in.

OP
I
Reaction score
The macbook just gets really hot and the fans make a loud noise -- even if I've only had the computer on for a couple minutes and am watching a video.

Could this be because of too much memory usage..? There's only about 1 gig left on my computer, I don't know if that's relevant.

-Jackie

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The macbook just gets really hot and the fans make a loud noise -- even if I've only had the computer on for a couple minutes and am watching a video.

Doesn't sound normal to me. How old is the machine?

Could this be because of too much memory usage..?

No.

There's only about 1 gig left on my computer, I don't know if that's relevant.

-Jackie

Memory and hard disk space are two different things. Every time you shut your computer off, your memory is purged.

OP
I
Reaction score
Oh I didn't know about that memory and hard drive thing. Eek. Sorry I'm not very good with this type of thing. Well anyway the computer is about 2.. 2 and a half years old maybe?

Weirdly enough, I think I've solved the problem. It sounds stupid but once I started using my computer on my new glass-top desk instead of my black wood old desk, it stopped. Maybe the black held the heat longer or something? It's so odd but I'm glad I (sort of) figured it out :p

Thank you all for your help <3

-Jackie

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another thing you might want to try is to get a can of compressed air and blow several short bursts of air into the vents to clear dust. Over time your fan will collect dust and this will help to clear it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.