Time Machine to Transfer Microsoft Office?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP: 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, 2.26GHz
Hallo. New to the forum ... I have a white mb and have an mbp coming in the post. would i be able to use my time machine backups to get my registered microsoft office from my mb onto my mbp without cds/serials?

i've already passed on the cd, and used my last serial
ty

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Microsoft EULA specifies 3 installs and that's either in the same household or same person. (Depends on which version of Office you purchased.) You are not allowed to "pass on" the CD unless you uninstall it from all your machines and you must include the SNs along with the CD.

Regards.

OP
ghostsushi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
umm... thats fantastic. will the time machine transfer it or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
The point chsag is making is that what you are asking about is illegal and you won't get any help here.

OP
ghostsushi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
even though its a legal copy of word? rough. okay thank you

M

MacInWin

That's the point. It's NOT a legal copy of word. As said in the post by chscag, you should not have "passed on" the CDs. Doing so "passed on" the legal copy, which makes yours not "legal." It may have been legal when you installed, but passing the CDs to someone else outside your household left you holding the bag.

OP
ghostsushi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...eh? you guys are awful literal. i gave it to my brother who lost it. sorry for misunderstandings

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
...eh? you guys are awful literal. i gave it to my brother who lost it. sorry for misunderstandings

That's OK. Your first post made it sound as if you gave the CD to someone else, like a friend. In that case you were no longer the legal owner.

Did you register Office with MS when you purchased it? If you did, give them a call at their customer service toll free number and they will replace the media less the SN for a small fee. Even if you didn't register, call them anyway and ask for a replacement CD.

Your three serial numbers can be used over again by you or anyone in your household provided you do not at any time exceed the number of allowed installs - which is three.

See the following from MS :

Contact Our Customer Service Team

Online Chat is available Monday through Friday, 11 A.M. to 8 P.M. (Eastern Time). For U.S. customers only; international customers, please visit our Microsoft Worldwide page to choose from our Microsoft sites worldwide.

Contact us by e-mail and you will receive an e-mail response from us within one business day.

If you prefer to use the phone, our Customer Service team is ready Monday through Friday, 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. (Eastern Time), at (888) 218-5617 (toll-free in the United States).

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Now that the BSA crowd has ranted about piracy, yes a Time Machine restore should put it all back in.

Guaranteed to work because I did just that is Migration Assistant. Firewire cable and a couple hours an my MBP looked for all the world exactly like my MB, functioning Office and all.

OP
ghostsushi
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally! Someone set out to answer my question!

Thank you. much appreciated :D
is the entire forum this annoying?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally! Someone set out to answer my question!

Thank you. much appreciated :D
is the entire forum this annoying?

No one in this forum is purposefully trying to annoy you. We can only respond to your questions in the way you post them. No one here can read your mind as to what you did or did not do. Your original question came across as illegal activity and it was only until you clarified what you had done that you received an answer. Maybe it wasn't the answer you wanted but the suggestion I gave you in my previous reply will resolve your problem now and for the future.

What if your Time Machine backup turns out to be invalid or the external hard drive won't mount? How will you restore your copy of Office then?

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that the BSA crowd has ranted about piracy, yes a Time Machine restore should put it all back in.

You know the rules of this forum...... enough said.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.