Mail Problem "Cannot send message using server smtp.me.com"

Reaction score
I've used mobileme mail exclusively for about 6 months now. Starting about 10 days ago I've been getting this error message frequently when I try to send mail via Apple Mail on my MBP OS 10.5.8. My ISP is Att Uverse.

The message is

"Cannot Send message using the server smtp.me.com:mitchww

Connections to the server"smtp.me.com" on the default ports timed out."

I am then asked to pick a different server and given a list of servers.

Apple support had me delete my mobileme mail acct from Apple Mail and re-add it but that didnt help. I still get the message frequently.

Often I try immediately to re-send the email using the same server (smtp.me.com) and it goes out fine. Other times, the emails go out without a delay and others the little spinny thing that indicates an email is going out spins for a few minutes and then the error message pops up again.

I had a problem like this once before involving my mail acct and a different ISP and an Apple genius looked up something and changed the default ports.

Any help would be much appreciated!

OP
M
Reaction score
I've used mobileme mail exclusively for about 6 months now. Starting about 10 days ago I've been getting this error message frequently when I try to send mail via Apple Mail on my MBP OS 10.5.8. My ISP is Att Uverse.

The message is

"Cannot Send message using the server smtp.me.com:mitchww

Connections to the server"smtp.me.com" on the default ports timed out."

I am then asked to pick a different server and given a list of servers.

Apple support had me delete my mobileme mail acct from Apple Mail and re-add it but that didnt help. I still get the message frequently.

Often I try immediately to re-send the email using the same server (smtp.me.com) and it goes out fine. Other times, the emails go out without a delay and others the little spinny thing that indicates an email is going out spins for a few minutes and then the error message pops up again.

I had a problem like this once before involving my mail acct and a different ISP and an Apple genius looked up something and changed the default ports.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.