I messed up. Help.

Reaction score
Fixing my sister-n-law's macbook, its running 10.4.6 if not, .3

Anyway, it went from simply just trying to reset her password for her, booted an OSX disc, went to the reset utility, and in the drop down, I didnt select her user name, I selected root. Great.

I didnt note down her actual User name either, but i remember the first time i did the disc boot, her name WAS in the drop down list of users, that i THOUGHT i clicked to reset the password.

Since then, No password matched and no user name matched when i reboot the computer.

Ive read tons, im not a COMPLETE mac n00b, but im not a macgenius either.

So ontop of that, i've tried doing the whole mount and .applesetupdone method, and now when i go through the whole creating a new user process, it freezes after the screen im supposed to have after i enter all the user information, just takes me to a white line, and freezes.

My main concern, is that she just wants all of her pictures saved. Should i pull the hard drive and dump them into my other mac ? or is it too late and i whiped out all her stuff.

Please, anyone help. Im an avid reader and still havent found the awnser, created this name just to post on the boards. Thanks in advance.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have no Tiger Install DVD. however i DO have a ..ehem...Ideneb 1.4 Leopard disk that is atleast getting me back into the Password reset utility and stuff.

Do i still want to read that? [knowing im going to skim it ]

OP
T
Reaction score
That link wassn't anything good for me.

Again, when people say make SURE not to select Root, and to choose your Mac user name, i DID choose The Admin, NOT the user. So yes im defitnally a bonehead. But what can I do to salvage from this point?

im really most concerned if I can just pull the drive and get the right files off of it. If I can, then ill just do that and format this sucka.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Another choice - start SiL macbook in target mode by holding T key and connect it to another mac (with firewire not sure about USB) and the Macbook drive will show up on other macs desktop then you can copy all files you want to that Mac then you can disconnect and do a reformat on the macbook. Then copy all back to newly set up drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
again.

I pulled the hard drive. I can get all the files.

Thats not what im goen for. I need to fix the apple login.

Isnt there a easy way without reformat?

Like cant i make a new user in the users folder?
anything to repair it?

I tried doing the .applesetupdone and it freezes in 1 ofthe steps of the setup process.

so i did touch /var/db/.applesetupdone and it just brings me back to a login screen that NO password is correct for the user name.

even after all the attempts at making a password for root.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not think the hackintosh version will do anything for you other than complicate things even more and we do not touch that here in these forums. Looks like a format and clean install with your sister's Tiger disc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.