DVD Drive won't read DVD's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Intel Duo Core 2, Macbook Pro, G5 1.8mhz
I have a Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo and for some reason my DVD drive suddenly won't read DVD's. One thing I noticed from all of my other macs when I go into the system profiler I see this.

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E:

Firmware Revision: ZA0E
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Now on all of my other 3 Macs I get basically the same stuff, except for the different drives and stuff, but at the bottom where is says Media, on all my other Macs, I get this message instead.

Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Why does my Macbook Pro say no? Is there something wrong with my settings? Is there something wrong with the DVD drive and the Macbook knows it? I am really stumped here. If anyone has an idea at all, please let me know.

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
I'm not so sure about this, so sorry for no help, but have you checked the actual DVD? Is there any problems with it? Is it burned (although Mac's can read burned DVD's)?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Why does my Macbook Pro say no? Is there something wrong with my settings? Is there something wrong with the DVD drive and the Macbook knows it? I am really stumped here. If anyone has an idea at all, please let me know.

Michael

When your MBP says "No" next to the "Media" parameter...that's because it thinks that there's no DVD disk in the drive.

So if there is a problem with the DVD drive & you have a disk in the drive...that simply means the drive isn't reading the disk.

As already suggested...if you haven't already...try some:

- other DVD's in the drive
- also try some CD's
- if neither of those ideas work, try cleaning the DVD drive

If none of those ideas work...maybe the drive really is DOA...and nothing we try other than replacing the drive will fix the problem.

I should ask as well...any warranty left?

- Nick

OP
michaellamere
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, no warranty left at all. I would agree with the idea that it's trying to tell me there is no media in the drive, but ALL of my other computers throughout my house have NO DISCS in the drives, but yet they say:

Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

They don't say No, no matter what I do. I am wondering if it's firmware update or something I missed, but apparently I have latest firmware update already for my drive. I am glad everyone else is confused too. Actually I am not, I just want this to work. I want to be able to install Leopard onto my computer and without the DVD drive working I can't seem to be able to do it.

I have tried the Target Drive thing with my iMac and well I can't select the MacBookPro's hard drive as a possible place to install Leopard. I am running out of options.

Thanks for responding.

Michael

OP
michaellamere
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way CDR's work just fine and mount on my desktop without a problem. I am beginning to think it's just the DVD portion of my drive that is bad. Either that or the DL media I used to burn the disc Image onto. That could be it also.

By the way when I inserted a CDR it gives me a different reading on the disc. I think it could just be the media I am using or the DVD portion of the drive is broken. Isn't the laser different for DVD's?

Michael

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since CDR's seem to work ok in your MBP's drive...this DVD your MBP drive cannot read...is this a retail DVD or a DVD you burned.

If it's a DVD you burned...did you burn it in your MBP drive...or in a different computer's drive?

If you burned it in a different computer's drive...is the burned DVD media compatible with the MBP's DVD drive?

- Nick

OP
michaellamere
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am beginning to think the problem might be that simple. I have put in a DVD movie and it plays fine and it reads all other DVD's. I think it might be because it's a DL RW disc and my MacBookPro might not like it. I am going to try different media brands out. Thanks for the info.

michael

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am beginning to think the problem might be that simple. I have put in a DVD movie and it plays fine and it reads all other DVD's. I think it might be because it's a DL RW disc and my MacBookPro might not like it. I am going to try different media brands out. Thanks for the info.

michael

Well incompatible DVD media would be a MUCH MUCH better situation to have than a busted "Superdrive"!!! ;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.