Cleaning inside?

Reaction score
I have my three year old macbook open in on the table as I had to take the topcase/keyboard off to replace the airport card. The logicboard is incredibly dusty in here and I was wondering if I should do a little cleaning while it is open or if I am best to let it alone?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have my three year old macbook open in on the table as I had to take the topcase/keyboard off to replace the airport card. The logicboard is incredibly dusty in here and I was wondering if I should do a little cleaning while it is open or if I am best to let it alone?

Thanks!

Are you sure we are talking about a MacBook...or is it a PowerBook or an iBook? It isn't really important...it's just unusual to hear about someone replacing an Airport card on a MacBook.

As far as cleaning...the best method would be to purchase a can of compressed air...and just blow off all of the dust & other debris.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Yep, macbook. I had a "blinking" problem w/ wireless and ruled out everything but the airport card. As an added bonus I could upgrade from an 802.11g to an 802.11n. Thanks for the cleaning tip.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, macbook. I had a "blinking" problem w/ wireless and ruled out everything but the airport card. As an added bonus I could upgrade from an 802.11g to an 802.11n. Thanks for the cleaning tip.

Did you figure out yet if replacing the airport card fixed the problem?

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had this with a MacBook recently, and it was fixed by simply doing a Command+Option+P+R at startup.

But to answer your previous question, yes. Hold the fans so that they can't spin and use a can of compressed air to remove the dust.

Note that you do NOT want to spin the fans with the compressed air. Over-spinning them can damage the bearings.

OP
B
Reaction score
So far so good from the airport card replace. Getting better connectivity (from the upgrade) and it has yet to exhibit "blinking" symptoms. I tried a PRAM corruption reset to no avail...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far so good from the airport card replace. Getting better connectivity (from the upgrade) and it has yet to exhibit "blinking" symptoms. I tried a PRAM corruption reset to no avail...

As far as the upgrade from "g" to "n"...are you suggesting that you did some sort of hardware upgrade?

Because my understanding is that some of the earlier MacBook's shipped with "g" Airport...and that they could be upgraded to "n" via a firmware update.

Of course I realize that your old "g" airport sounds like it died...so upgrading to "n" via hardware I guess makes sense, since you had to disassemble anyway.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.