Deciding on 13" or 15" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2009)
Hey all, I'm getting a Macbook Pro because I'm going to be learning to develop iPhone/iTouch apps and I need OSX. I have a great Windows 7 RC custom machine that I've been using now so I'm getting something that can be made portable; hence the MBP. I can hook it up to my 22" widescreen LCD here when I'm at home but I will need enough space when I'm on the road to program in and work in Photoshop.

I've checked out both MBPs (13" and 15") at the Apple Store and they are wonderful machines but I am seriously stuck on trying to choose between 13" and 15". I love the footprint of the 13" but I love the 15" display. I don't travel too much, but I take trips every now and then. Who here travels with the 15"? Does it get in the way at all or do you find yourself not having enough space at places where you take it out? How is it in your lap?

Has anyone gone 13->15 or 15->13? Reasons why? Any program developers out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
First off, I would like to say:
Go to the apple store and try out the 15 and 13 inch. Put it in your lap (If it doesn't reach then ask an apple person if you can see both). What I say or what other people say could be TOTALLY different than what you think, it is all up to you.

If you are going to be getting the 15 inch, I personally would get the one with the dedicated graphics card, that is a huge upgrade from the 13 inch, and the only reason I would get the 15-17 inch MBP.

If you are going to be spending a LOT of time on your MBP, looking at the screen and working, I would be looking at the 15-17 inch.

If you aren't going to be moving it around much I would get the 15 over the 13. And if money isn't a problem I would check out the 17 inch.

I really like the 13 inch and it is fine, but the extra 2 inches would be nice if your MBP will be used a lot.

I know many people with the 17 inch and the 13 inch, but no one with the 15 inch so I do not have any first hand experience with 15 in MBP, but my other laptop (which is an older computer) is a 15 inch and the screen size is notable after long use.

You asked about lap space, I think it will be fine with the 15 inch. My 13 inch is a great size for me.

The MBP will get pretty hot if doing graphical work, so you may want to work on the desk (just a suggestion).

OP
RavynX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2009)
First off, I would like to say:
Go to the apple store and try out the 15 and 13 inch. Put it in your lap (If it doesn't reach then ask an apple person if you can see both). What I say or what other people say could be TOTALLY different than what you think, it is all up to you.
I understand the personal choice, which is why I kind of felt odd asking the question since everyone is different but I figure I'd like to get other's views on the subject.

If you are going to be getting the 15 inch, I personally would get the one with the dedicated graphics card, that is a huge upgrade from the 13 inch, and the only reason I would get the 15-17 inch MBP.
Is the dedicated graphics card really needed unless you're playing graphics intensive games like Crysis or the upcoming Aion game? Seems like it would be overkill for games like WoW or StarCraft and just general use with Photoshop and desktop programs.

If you are going to be spending a LOT of time on your MBP, looking at the screen and working, I would be looking at the 15-17 inch.

If you aren't going to be moving it around much I would get the 15 over the 13. And if money isn't a problem I would check out the 17 inch.
I'll be using it at home mainly and maybe at work; both of where I sit at a desk with a Windows-based computer. I'll either have the Windows machine and the Macbook running at the same time or I'll hook the Macbook up to one of the larger LCD screens to work on. The 17" is definitely too big for whenever I travel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
If you're going to be hooking up your MBP to a bigger monitor, I see no reason of getting the 15 inch.

The 13 inch is more portable, and if you do not need the 9600, there is really no point in getting the 15 inch.

I've played WoW on my MBP 13 inch and it runs very smoothly, it will be fine.

I have never used photoshop on my MBP, but on the 2008 Macbook (the unibody), my friend uses photoshop and it runs great.

As I stated before, it is all up to you.

From what you have told us, I believe that the best match for you would be the 13 inch Macbook Pro, due to it's portability (you can always have a bigger monitor) and since you have no major need for the 9600GT (although it would be nice).

Reaction score
Hey there, I own a 15'' 2.66 Ghz MBP and i love it, my girlfriend owns the 13'' Aluminum Macbook which is now also a MPB, and I'm 5'9 180 and the 15'' fits absolutely perfect in my lap.

I love the real estate i have to work with, whether it be hanging out with music, IM and Internet running or at school using Parallel Fusion software to do windows based programming (i'm a computer science student) 15'' is do-able on the road as far as real estate, its nice to hook it up to an external monitor at home for sure though!

On the other hand i think the 17'' is overwhelming and way to big for my liking, and the 13'' my girlfriend has feels a bit too small and i love it cause its cute and all but, i think it would be a hassle for me just because that 2'' just seems to make a huge difference.

I've taken my MBP with me on the road, used it in the car, hotel, lobbies, cafes, amongst other places and i never had problems with space. I absolutely recommend the 15'' MBP for your needs!

And regarding the other posters note about the dedicated graphics card, its nice second reason for going with the 15'' model, because it seems that real estate and portability if the biggest concern for you, its nice to have a little extra capability inside the machine with the 15'' model.

GL with your purchase!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.