Volume Shortcut on Keyboard not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hi,

I use to be able to change the volume up, down and mute using F12, F11, F10 on the keyboard but now when I do that weird things happen and the volume dosent change.

I.e. The window opened scrolls up and hides at the top or it switches screens. I went to preferences and click exopse and change the settings so now it dosent do that.... but it still wont change the volume!!!?

How do I fix this and restore it to default.

thanks

P.S.

Just realised to change volume now I have to press the "fn" key as well as the volume keys.... How do I restore it to default - so I don't need to press "fn"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Keyboard & Mouse

On the Keyboard tab, you'll have to remove the check next to:
Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys

Doing so however, may eliminate shortcut functions in some of your apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
If you are talking about while running windows you will need to hold "fn" and press them to change the volume but if you are talking about running OS X and having to do this just do what bobtomay said and uncheck the box for using the F1, F2 etc keys, if this is checked you will need to hold "fn" to use any of the "pictured" features on the F keys (volume, screen brightness, etc.).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.