Comatose iBook—Pull The Plug, Admit I’ve Been Cheating, or Sell The Body To Science?

Reaction score
Comatose iBook—Pull The Plug or Sell The Body To Science? (Infamous Line-y Screen)

So, I’ve given up.

I normally don’t give up.

But I give up, ha-ha.

Earlier in the year, I got a hand-me-down iBook from my dead neighbor, it was love at first sight—I had a few problems, I had to delete the hard drive around four or five times, but it worked wonderfully… wonderfully for a laptop that was way past its prime. Now, I’ve always known that sooner or later the day would come when I’d probably get hit with the infamous “black screen of death”, but I always ignored the fact.

Yesterday it happened.

I’m not really worried out of my mind, but… yeah, I’m perfectly fine, I know this means I’m just making room for a more amazing computer, ha-ha.

Anyway, I have a few questions—

First of all, from what I’ve read around the internet, repairing this puppy isn’t really worth it and the money I would use could be put forth to a newer, shinier laptop; second? I’m at my end, it’s pretty clear that if it’s screwed up once, it going to happen again—I want to salvage this for parts, but I’m not sure how much it would sell for. Thirdly, I am still up for at least attempting to fix it up if I can do it from home—anything that deals with, y’know, stroking some keys and holding down buttons. Opening up a computer just feels like it’ll do more damage than good in my hands.

For those curious of what exactly happened, I turned it on from an eight hour nap, checked a few things, and before I knew it, lines engulfed the screen and I turned it off. I turned it back on, it died, I got persistent, it came back on long enough for me to delete the little “mule” account I was using then it crap’d out again. On and off it’s had a few moments among the living, but otherwise the screen is blank. I’m pretty sure it still works, ‘cause I was fooling around with the keyboard and could hear the volume controls making that annoying little sound of theirs.

I’m going to the Genius Bar tomorrow, hopefully they’ll have something encouraging to say, or maybe a free Macbook—that would be sa-wheat.

RANDOM INFORMATION/QUESTIONS:
- I have all the crap that came with my baby—the installation disk, the hardware “doctor's appointment”, the charger, the battery, the plugs, the other plugs—you name it, I have it.
- It’s running 10.2.8, he’s an oldie but a goodie.
- I want to buy a new Mac, but I’m not sure what—the Macbook or Macbook Pro? I mean, I want something that won’t kill my change purse but will last me all in the same, suggestions? I keep it pretty simple use wise—digital art, web design, writing, amateur video-making and writing with the not-so-occasional web browsing.
- It’s an iBook, G3, with something about 800GmZ or whatever it is, ha-ha… 2GBs of RAM and a whole bunch of amazing.
- I’m a student, mind as well sure that tidbit.
- Anyone know how much I could sell this for?

If I think of something else, I’ll be sure to share—oh, and this is a first, thank you for welcoming. : D

Edit: I'd like to say that the subconscious falls under, y'know, the “epitome of amazing” because if it weren't for my mind's constant nagging, I wouldn't have saved all of my files onto a flash drive the day before. So, no worries about files getting lost.

Maybe I should've listened to it when it silently told me to check the hard drive, do a disk check, and possibly delete the hard drive—“Something is up, man.”

OP
E
Reaction score
Okay, apparently if I squeeze the sides it works perfectly fine, but once I let go, it decides to go crazy again.

Software-wise, my brain functions properly, but I'm deathly afraid of taking up some of the surgical suggestions that I've found on the web; suggestions? Is there anywhere I can go to get someone else to follow the tutorials and do it for me?

... My Aunt works at a college, maybe there?

DD ;

Reaction score
Shame about your iBook, every good thing comes to an end at some point.
The decision on what to buy for a new Mac is all up to you ofcourse, but I wish you luck on choosing. BTW maybe some big pliers will help:D

OP
E
Reaction score
I was thinking about pilers, but apparently there's some amazing way to do this... like wedging metal between the slots or something. : /

I dunno, I'm still asking around, if I can fix it for under thirty bucks, then I might reconsider our relationship.

Reaction score
Well, if that's not true love, then I don't know what is...:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.