AntiVirus Question

I

idibidi

Please clear this up for me!

I have a work PC with symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition installed, a home PC with Norton installed (although trial has expired recently), and a PB all networked together. I have a DI-624 and have firewall running on all three. Both PCs have SP2. The PB has OSX with the latest security update.

I have the work computer running 24/7. I rarely use the home computer and when it is in use I have traffic blocked from the Internet unless I need to access it. I do occasionally use the home computer to get on the Internet but it is very rare. I use the PB to access the Internet frequently. I have file and printer sharing between all three. I mainly wanted to do this so that I could use the printer that is hooked up to my work computer from the home computer and the PB over my network.

By the way...I am sure it has been done a million times, but I was pretty darn proud of myself when I got this all up and working...not bad for a girly girl.

Anyway, now I am paranoid about what I have been reading on the forums. Should I have an antivirus program for the Mac to prevent transferring a virus to my PCs?

If I am looking at the shared files from computer to computer could this spread a virus? How exactly would I spread a virus?

I am not concerned about the PB, but I have been reading that I could spread a virus to the PC from the PB.

I can download Virex from my school for free, but I have also seen some issues with the new version. If I can download an older version should I?

Sorry for being such a newbie, but I don't want to jack anything up.

Please give some advice on what I should do, if anything. I am generally very careful about what I am doing when on the Internet (at least on my home PC and the PB...not as true with the work computer...but only occasionally). Still, how in the heck do I really know what is going on with those stinkin' PCs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kimberly

OP
D

Desolate One

What you have read is correct. While there's no "direct" threat to your Mac, it can still pass along the virus to your PCs unaffected. When my Norton subscription ran out I just ended up downloading the free version of AVG Anti-Virus. http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/ww

So far so good on my end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Mod note: Moved to correct forum and clarified the title to make it easier to see what the topic is about.

OP
M

meltbanana314

Chances are if your PC is already protected by an antivirus application and firewall, you don't need to get any kind of antivirus software for your PowerBook. Just keep the firewall on your PowerBook (ipfw) on and you will most likely not have a problem.

OP
D

Desolate One

I just re-read my post and thought I could have been more clear on something. When my Norton subscription on my PC ran out I then got AVG. I'm not using any AV software on my iBook and all has been well.

Give AVG a shot. Like Meltbanana said, as long as you have some sort of AV software on your PCs you'll be fine.

OP
I

idibidi

Desolate One said:
I just re-read my post and thought I could have been more clear on something. When my Norton subscription on my PC ran out I then got AVG. I'm not using any AV software on my iBook and all has been well.

Give AVG a shot. Like Meltbanana said, as long as you have some sort of AV software on your PCs you'll be fine.

If I have the Norton Internet Security 2004 and the Norton AntiVirus 2004, will they both be removed or are they separate. They appear to be separate, but I read somewhere that they may be together.

I like being able to block traffic with the NIS. I did have ZoneAlarm on but I couldn't get the "sharing" stuff to work so I took it off.

So, can I leave the NIS and take off the AV an then install AVG?

If not, any recommendations on a firewall...or can I simply use the XP one?

OP
M

meltbanana314

idibidi said:
If not, any recommendations on a firewall...or can I simply use the XP one?

I well, I would recommend Zone Alarm but you had problems with that. McAfee is supposed to be good. Try that.

And no, I wouldn't trust any of XP's 'security programs.'

OP
D

Desolate One

I don't have NIS however I've used System Works in the past. When you installed the service did it give you an option as to which services to install? You may be able to uninstall the whole program and then re-install sans the AV portion.

OP
I

idibidi

Desolate One said:
I don't have NIS however I've used System Works in the past. When you installed the service did it give you an option as to which services to install? You may be able to uninstall the whole program and then re-install sans the AV portion.

It came installed with the computer (dell).

OP
K

Kokopelli

I would recommend getting Anti-Virus for your Windows machines and leaving the Mac as is. Getting AV for the Mac would prevent you from infecting the Windows machines by sending over a file but your windows machine could get infected by other vectors and you would have nothing to prevent it. Given your usage patterns on the Windows machines infection seems unlikely but not impossible.

The XP firewall should do for your usage. Contrary to popular belief XPs firewall actually does its job well, though is limited in nature. If you were hosting applications such as a web server, database, or P2P traffic from them, I would suggest a more robust firewall. But as it stands they rarely connect to the internet and when they do they are using a NATed router, which puts them in a fairly secure zone.

OP
I

idibidi

Kokopelli said:
I would recommend getting Anti-Virus for your Windows machines and leaving the Mac as is. Getting AV for the Mac would prevent you from infecting the Windows machines by sending over a file but your windows machine could get infected by other vectors and you would have nothing to prevent it. Given your usage patterns on the Windows machines infection seems unlikely but not impossible.

I actually uninstalled the antivirus portion and kept the norton firewall...which seems okay so far...plus I installed avast which is running a scan right now. Keep your fingers crossed...I hate this crap. I just hope I can still use my network like yesterday.

Did I mention that I am supposed to be working right now...LOL LOL...what a joke.

By the way, when I graduate from the nursing program I am switching everything to Mac. Being a poor student, I am forced to use OPM (other people's money) for the new "home computer" purchased recently, so I had to go for the best deal and I am forced to use a company provided PC, but I swear I will never go back to the dark side after graduation.

UPDATE: Everything seems to be fine. WOO HOO!

Thanks to everyone for all your advice. I love this forum. I have learned so much in the last few weeks. You guys are great.

Kimberly

OP
D

Desolate One

Glad to hear you've found what you were looking for thus far. It's good to have you aboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.