• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Ratio problems in Final cut pro

Reaction score
hi guys

Im having some problems in final cut.
I shot some footage in 16:9 and then used the wrong capture settings to capture (DVPAL 48kHz) instead of (DVPAL 48kHz Anamorphic).

is there anyway i can export the footage as true 16:9 without loosing quality or picture??

so far i have been trying different export setting and sequence setting and stuff and im starting to loose my mind.

i realize that i could just re-import the footage but i have imported a lot and i dont want to have to do this. could i export to tape maybe and then try to re capture with correct settings?

another thing to bare in mind is that lots of the footage will have to go through adobe after effects, could this be used at all to change the ratio?

thanks for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26Ghz 12gb Ram
If you scroll along to the right in the browser window there is a column called "Anamorphic", place a tick in that box and it will be as if you had captured it in as anamorphic in the first place.

I'm not sure what you mean by true 16:9, as you didn't shoot in true 16:9.
You shot at 720x576px, but as it is anamorphic you are displaying it stretched to 1024x576.

When you're in After Effects, make your comp 720x576 anamorphic rather than 1024x576, as you don't want two different ratios unless you need to, as one of them will have to be rendered to fit.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.