What to do with a G3 Wallstreet PB??

K

kjellquist

So I grabbed a Wallstreet PB 233Mhz from a co-worker for $50. It has a 4G hard drive and 96MB of RAM installed. I just grabbed an additional 256MB RAM for little money. It's running OS 9 now, but I am wondering if I should install OS X. It's going to be nothing more than a second machine for surfing, chat, e-mail, and word processing.

Any thoughts, opinions, etc.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
kjellquist said:
So I grabbed a Wallstreet PB 233Mhz from a co-worker for $50. It has a 4G hard drive and 96MB of RAM installed. I just grabbed an additional 256MB RAM for little money. It's running OS 9 now, but I am wondering if I should install OS X. It's going to be nothing more than a second machine for surfing, chat, e-mail, and word processing.

Any thoughts, opinions, etc.?

I would certainly install OS X if you can. I'd suggest Panther using XPostFacto. It's quite a bit "snappier" than previous versions of OS X, and allows you to run the latest versions of Safari, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have a 300Mhz Wallstreet and a 333Mhz Lombard. Both of them are running OS X (10.2.8 and 10.3.8, respectively) with no problems. As long as you have enough RAM, and 256 would suffice, the Wallstreet would be fine for just surfing and the like. OS X will take up quite a bit of the disk space, so you may want to consider putting a larger HD in. Both of my PB G3s have 30GB drives. Just remember that if you do put a larger disk in, OS X has to installed within the first 8GB, so if you put a disk larger than 8GB in, you will have to partition it before you can install OS X.

OP
T

T L Rominger

:yinyang:
D3v1L80Y said:
I have a 300Mhz Wallstreet and a 333Mhz Lombard. Both of them are running OS X (10.2.8 and 10.3.8, respectively) with no problems. As long as you have enough RAM, and 256 would suffice, the Wallstreet would be fine for just surfing and the like. OS X will take up quite a bit of the disk space, so you may want to consider putting a larger HD in. Both of my PB G3s have 30GB drives. Just remember that if you do put a larger disk in, OS X has to installed within the first 8GB, so if you put a disk larger than 8GB in, you will have to partition it before you can install OS X.

I have just broght my Lombard back to life. It has 512 Meg of Ram and a 60 Gig 7400 harddrive. It runs OSX just fine and works great as my iTune server.
So dont discount these first gen G3 powerbooks they still run very well. Next year I'm eyeing a G4 up grade card.

OP
K

kjellquist

So I just upped the RAM to 288MB (32 bottom, 256 top) and tried to install OS X (10.3) and it would not let me run the install. The computer is not compatible. Is there a way around this? Do I need an earlier release of OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
kjellquist said:
So I just upped the RAM to 288MB (32 bottom, 256 top) and tried to install OS X (10.3) and it would not let me run the install. The computer is not compatible. Is there a way around this? Do I need an earlier release of OS X?

You will need an application called XPostFacto to install Panther on your machine. Here's a link to information and the download: OWC - XPostFacto

The process is really very easy, but if you run into any problems or have any questions, just send me a PM.

OP
K

kjellquist

Thanks...Xpostfacto worked perfectly! Of course, the PB can only run OS X in 256 colors and it's slow, but it's a nice second laptop that only cost $50.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
i run osx.2 on my g3, 384mb ram, 300mhz (its oc'ed) i have no complaints but one, adium x ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS LAGS for NO REASON!! that, and alot of the hardware is unsupported (floppy, scsi, personality card)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.