Seagate Momentus 500gb 7200 rpm clicking noise

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just upgraded my MBP (not the unibody body one) a new HDD ( Seagate Momentus 500gb 7200 rpm) 1 week ago. The HDD was working fine until I found out there is a random clicking noise from the Hdd, the time it happens is quite fast..about 2 or 3 seconds and the machine freeze of course, after that it working fine again.

I don't kow if anyone in this forum got the same problem as I said just now. I tried to go through apple discussion and seem there are like hundres of people got this issue too.

My question is , is there anyway to fix this problem(the HDD) or should I call Seagate to tell them this story and request a new HDD?

Thanks for reading my post, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

SG

T

todd51

I have noticed it every once in a while. I am in the exact same situation you are. I have the same hard drive and the non-unibody MBP. It doesn't really bother me that much since there's not that much lag on it, and it only makes the clicking noise whenever the hard drive has to start spinning again.

I have Leopard set to put the hard drive to rest whenever possible, and I believe that noise it makes is whenever it comes out of it's "rest" mode.

OP
S
Reaction score
just back home and I can post the video from youtube about this problem,

YouTube - MacBook Pro Beep

and if any of you got the same problem, you might read this too and know you are not the only one.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Hard drive click + beep ...

I was shocked as there are like reaching thousands of people got the same issue but Apple still not fixing the problem and keep selling their faulty products to customers. This is a real shame for Apple if they ignore about this.

I don't believe that Apple did not know about this issue!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
just back home and I can post the video from youtube about this problem,

YouTube - MacBook Pro Beep

and if any of you got the same problem, you might read this too and know you are not the only one.

I was shocked as there are like reaching thousands of people got the same issue but Apple still not fixing the problem and keep selling their faulty products to customers. This is a real shame for Apple if they ignore about this.

Why is it Apple's fault?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

You purchased a Seagate Momentus Hard drive as a replacement for the one that came with your MacBook and it turns out this drive clicks and then freezes momentarily; and it's Apple's fault?

You should be directing the blame where it belongs- to Seagate. Call them and ask for a RMA.

Regards.

Reaction score
I've installed 500GB 7200RPM drives on MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Unibody and the previous generations without any issues and they are not Seagate. I use Hitachi or Western Digital drives and they've been working fine. I agree with chscag, it's problem with Seagate, not Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.