external or internal?

Reaction score
just bought a mbp and im looking to add some storage. Not sure if i should go with Apples own Time Capsule(which you can get for around $175 w/500GB), Seagates 500GB Portable Hdd(for about $130 on sale) or if i should just add some internal storage. Im leaning towards time capsule mainly because i'll be able to access my files anywhere (granted i have mobile me) without any extra hassles of walking around with a portable Hdd. I was thinking of adding 320GB momentus hard drive internally but im really sure how good it is. what would u guys suggest?/

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It depends on how you want your storage to work. Do you need more room on your MBP or can you move some files to an external? Having the files on your Mac is nice but you can use and external to back up all your files should something go wrong. As for the TC, if you already have a wireless router and you don't need to use Time Machine, there is no need to get the TC. It would be cheaper to get a drive and put it in your Mac but in this instance, you won't be able to benefit from the advantages that come with an external.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
just bought a mbp and im looking to add some storage. Not sure if i should go with Apples own Time Capsule(which you can get for around $175 w/500GB), Seagates 500GB Portable Hdd(for about $130 on sale) or if i should just add some internal storage. Im leaning towards time capsule mainly because i'll be able to access my files anywhere (granted i have mobile me) without any extra hassles of walking around with a portable Hdd. I was thinking of adding 320GB momentus hard drive internally but im really sure how good it is. what would u guys suggest?/

My initial question's would be:

- Do you really need extra storage?
- Is your hard drive getting full?
- Are you storing a lot of "junk" on your hard drive?
- Do you want a bigger internal hard drive..."just because"?

Many many people keep "stuffing" more & more stuff onto their hard drives with no real purpose:

- applications or games you use infrequently
- stuff you download from the internet, and use only once...like demo software
- download lots of music or movies that you watch or play once
- lots of photos that you don't look at very often
- or old MS Offfice files (Word, Excel, Power Point)

Many people when they have internal hard drive crash's...losing all of their important files (music, home movies, very important documents, photos, etc.)...would be willing to sell their right arm to get the stuff back, when a simple $100 or less purchase would have saved them!

My vote is get an external hard drive to use as a backup device...before worrying about upgrading your current internal hard drive.

Or maybe an even better option. You could upgrade your internal hard drive, then put your old hard drive into an external case...and use it as an external backup device.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
My initial question's would be:

- Do you really need extra storage?
- Is your hard drive getting full?
- Are you storing a lot of "junk" on your hard drive?
- Do you want a bigger internal hard drive..."just because"?

Many many people keep "stuffing" more & more stuff onto their hard drives with no real purpose:

- applications or games you use infrequently
- stuff you download from the internet, and use only once...like demo software
- download lots of music or movies that you watch or play once
- lots of photos that you don't look at very often
- or old MS Offfice files (Word, Excel, Power Point)

Many people when they have internal hard drive crash's...losing all of their important files (music, home movies, very important documents, photos, etc.)...would be willing to sell their right arm to get the stuff back, when a simple $100 or less purchase would have saved them!

My vote is get an external hard drive to use as a backup device...before worrying about upgrading your current internal hard drive.

Or maybe an even better option. You could upgrade your internal hard drive, then put your old hard drive into an external case...and use it as an external backup device.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

how would i put my internal hd in an external case, ive never heard of that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.