Ram or Disk Upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 2.8GHz i5, 4GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5750 w/ 1GB 1TB hard drive
Which is a better upgrade to purchase?

I'm looking at buying a 13" MacBook Pro with 2GB of ram and a 160GB/5400rpm drive. I can afford to upgrade one of these.

Do I upgrade from 2GB of ram to 4GB or do I upgrade from a 160GB/5400rpm drive to a 320GB/7200rpm or 500GB/5400rpm drive?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Just by the stock MBP and upgrade the RAM and HDD yourself. 4GB of RAM cost around $70 and the HDD for a 320GB is around $75.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a student, I don't have much money to spare - even after the student discount. Which would be more worthwhile upgrading?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
As a student, I don't have much money to spare - even after the student discount. Which would be more worthwhile upgrading?

Hey,

It depends on what you are going to do with the computer. If you are going to do work that require a large amount of storage then go for the hard drive. If not, go for RAM ...

What are you going to do mostly with the laptop?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Hey,

It depends on what you are going to do with the computer. If you are going to do work that require a large amount of storage then go for the hard drive. If not, go for RAM ...

What are you going to do mostly with the laptop?

2GB of RAM is more than enough for everyday computing. IE. Listen to music, watching movies, surfing the web, light photoshop work, and word processing.

Also if you look closely if you wanted to add a bigger HD, apple charges you 90 dollars when you can save ~20 dollars by getting it from a third party vendor and installing yourself.

Same goes with the HDD for a 320 GB you can save around ~20 dollars here as well. You save more on a 500GB 7200 RPM HDD. You can get one for less than ~120 dollars from new egg with free shipping. While it's 180 from apple, and that HDD is slower.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Actually...if you don't need more ram or more hard drive space...it would be a waste of money upgrading either one!...especially since you "don't have much money to spare".

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We're always wanting to get the best and biggest we can inside our computer. However, being on a budget and if you don't have a backup device, I would suggest investing in an external drive before either of the two upgrade options.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And if you don't have an external drive for backup - I would suggest investing there before either of the two upgrade options.

AWESOME suggestion! An external backup hard drive is something most folks forget about, and can be a much more valuable investment than a possible unnecessary ram or internal hard drive upgrade.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
AWESOME suggestion! An external backup hard drive is something most folks forget about, and can be a much more valuable investment than a possible unnecessary ram or internal hard drive upgrade.

- Nick

Agreed.

With an external, not only can you back it up, but you can also partition it so that you have more storage! So you kinda' get to expand the capacity there.

I'd highly recommend an external drive to back up the system. It has save me a lot of frustration many times.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We're always wanting to get the best and biggest we can inside our computer. However, being on a budget and if you don't have a backup device, I would suggest investing in an external drive before either of the two upgrade options.
Yea. I think I might go for an external drive. I didn't do this on my last computer and it died with all my files on it.... oh well.
Do you guys have any suggestions for external drives (not Time Capsule, it costs too much)?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you guys have any suggestions for external drives (not Time Capsule, it costs too much)?

Just about anything will work...if price is a concern...look for low prices.

Asking for hard drive recommendations is like asking folks who their favorite football team is...you'll get 5-10 recommendations...and still be confused as to what to buy.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea. I think I might go for an external drive. I didn't do this on my last computer and it died with all my files on it.... oh well.

Yeah just go to your local store that sells hard drives and find what suits your needs there. I found a killer deal on boxing day for $90 and got a 640GB drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You might like this one...

I can personally recommend this Western Digital for $109 after tax on amazon.com with free shipping.

I would like to upgrade my RAM and HDD but opted for purchasing that external drive instead. I'll save up and get the RAM and internal HDD later in the year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to upgrade my RAM and HDD but opted for purchasing that external drive instead. I'll save up and get the RAM and internal HDD later in the year.

Good choice. I did exactly the same. I bought my MacBook a year ago, and then bought an external a few months after my purchase. Then, half a year after that I upgraded the HD and RAM, which was a smooth transition thanks to my external. Before the HD upgrade, I used my external as extra storage as I found I kept my internal 120GB drive quite full all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody Macbook Pro: 2.66 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @ 5400rpm
a LaCie fan

i bought a 1TB LaCie d2 quadra and am a big fan of it.

from my experience, buying "for Mac" versions isn't really necessary...all you have to do with a normal HDD is erase it with Disk Utility and set it to run on Mac OS X instead of MS-DOS. (i'll default to the more experienced users here, though. any particular reason to get "for Mac" HDDs?)

my recommendation? buy a LaCie d2 quadra. it gives you 4 connection options (USB2.0, F400, F800, and eSata) and is a pretty slick looking drive.

ps: the LaCie is a bit less expensive than the Seagate, now that i look at it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.