New MacbookPro sometimes "Not Charging"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
Hi Guys,

I bought by 13" MacbookPro 1 1/2 months ago. Recently I noticed sometimes when I connect the power adapter to charge the battery, is says "Not Charging" and the light at the power adapter is green. If I remove it and plug it back in and do it for 4-5 times then sometimes I get it working charging the battery. This does not happen all the time.

Today I panicked becouse it started doing the same thing and when I did the connect and disconnect 15-20 times then in the end it started working. Can you help me. What is the problem?

I was googling it and somewhere found a long thread of resetting SMC. Do I really have to do that? that thread was so long and didn't get to see if that problem was resolved or not.

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
First it is quite Ok for it to be Green and not charging mine stays green until the battery gets down to 95 - 96% charge then it clicks in changes to orange and charges back to Green and 100%. Make sure you read up on Calibrating your battery to get the best life out of it - here is the link for my older unit.

OP
sachadon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
yeah ... I do calibrate my battery occasionally .... being said that I had my Mac for less than 2 months now and I have calibrated it twice so far ....

one thing I haven't waited enough to see if it still charges my battery or not.

by the way .... does you unit still say "not charging" in the menu bar while its charging ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yep, it can say "Not Charging" and be perfectly fine. Right now for example, my MBA says "Not Charging". When I check the battery via System Profiler it indicates it's Health is "Good" and there are 6 cycles on it. The Charge Remaining is 4750 mAh and it's Full Charge Capacity is 4984 mAh. That's 95%, also indicated in iStat Pro. In a short while it will start charging again and eventually change to "Charging" and head back up to 100%. I have noticed this seems to happen more frequently when I have any of my laptops set to "Computer Sleep" in System Preference > Energy Saver. No worries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.