Confused with network message

Reaction score
Every morning my mom wakes up and find this message:

The name of your computer "******'s iMac" is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to "******'s iMac (1)".

To change the name of your computer, open System Preferences and click Sharing, then type the name in the Computer Name field.

She has a timecapsule and only have one computer on the wireless network. I have a printer connected to it directly. So I don't know why it is saying this. Any ideas on how to stop it from coming up.

I had the "Remote Management" turned on her computer because I was trying to get my ARD3 to work (never did). I discovered the "share screen" mode in ichat. That works beautifully. I turned the remote management off this morning (don't know if that'll help).

Any ideas on why this is giving that message?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
open terminal and enter the command

dscacheutil -flushcache

then reboot

then rename computer to what ever you want in the sharing section of system preferences

OP
B
Reaction score
I called apple today and got a second level support expert.
I had 2 networks turned on in the Network setting under the System Prefs.
I turned off one of them, they were fighting with each other. Now, they're playing nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.