Mp3 cds

OP
D

DCyamaha

sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, but the problem is that the imac won't read the data CD (with Mp3s) at all! I can hear the drive spin up and then it just shuts down. There is no icon on the desktop that a CD was inserted into the drive. Its not the drive either. I can read other CD-Rs just fine, but obviously not the ones I created 2-3 years ago.

I have Virtual PC 7 with windows XP home edition on my iMac, I may boot up my virtual machine and see if it will read it. I HOPE that works. Otherwise, I have 3 gigs of Mp3s sitting on CDs that are worthless now :(

Reaction score
DCyamaha said:
sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, but the problem is that the imac won't read the data CD (with Mp3s) at all! I can hear the drive spin up and then it just shuts down. There is no icon on the desktop that a CD was inserted into the drive. Its not the drive either. I can read other CD-Rs just fine, but obviously not the ones I created 2-3 years ago.

I have Virtual PC 7 with windows XP home edition on my iMac, I may boot up my virtual machine and see if it will read it. I HOPE that works. Otherwise, I have 3 gigs of Mp3s sitting on CDs that are worthless now :(

Not always worthless...it could be like i said, not every drive will read every disk. Try the disks on as many other computers and you can, maybe one will read them and then you can move them to hard drive and rewite them again with another burner that is more compatable with what you have now. That is how i got my 5 disks back, my friend had an old old computer that would read them and i just made new disks on his machine and my new computer would read those...

Of course it could be those disks have just plain gone bad and the files are lost, but it is worth the try.

OP
D

DCyamaha

good solution. I do have access to other PCs (Dell, Compaq) which are my parents. I will try to reburn them onto newer CDs if possible.

thanks!

Reaction score
DCyamaha said:
good solution. I do have access to other PCs (Dell, Compaq) which are my parents. I will try to reburn them onto newer CDs if possible.

thanks!

Don't leave out any Macs you have access to as i have had a Mac read some disks that my pc wouldn't. It isn't just pc or mac, it's the drives themselves so try em on as many different drives as you can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.