Black 13" MacBook Not Detecting HD

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been working with Macs for quite some but came across a strange issue. My friends black macbook wont detect any internal hard drives anymore. At first I thought his HD was dead so i got a different one and swapped it and still wont detect it. I go to run thru the OSX Install and it doesn't detect any hard drives. So I am starting to think that maybe the board is bad? The SATA port/controller might be bad as well. I receive no missing folder Icon or anything just the black screen that states no bootable device/medium etc

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does the machine detect an external hard drive when it's attached? Also, I'm assuming the machine can be booted from his original install DVD?

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it boots OK from the original install media, then we know that the Logic board is OK and graphics are likewise OK. That leaves us with the possibility of a defective HDD controller (which would be unusual) or a mechanical defect. By mechanical defect I'm referring to the actual HDD connector in the battery compartment.

Look inside of the HDD slot as best you can with a flashlight. Sometimes the rubber insulator rails which guide the drive come loose and block the connector. It's really difficult to see inside completely unless you disassemble the bottom of the machine from the case. Not a fun job.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
sounds good, i will check it out and make sure there isnt anything blocking the connector. It was just weird since the hard drive in there before was never taken out and started doing this on its own. Ill keep you posted with what i find.

Thanks again

OP
A
Reaction score
Alright so i took apart the whole bottom of the unit. Noticed the rubber HD gasket/support was loose so i reglued it and waited. Connected the HD and made sure i could see it making contact with the SATA port. Put it all back together. Ran the OSX install disc and same thing. So now we know its making full contact with the SATA and still nothing. Im not sure what else to try to see if its seeing the hard drive.

Thanks for any Input

AJ

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.