Unable to find driver for this platform "PowerMac2,1" - error with no solution?

Reaction score
Hello dearest members.

I have a big issue. My little brother got an iMac G3 as a present, to play basic games on it. It had MacOS 9.2.1 installed and the firmware was updated to the latest version. I installed MacOS X 10.4 and it worked flawlessly up till now. All of a sudden, after booting, error screen appears, and I haven't been able to fix it.

I've tried:
  • booting from MacOS 9.2.1 install disc
  • booting from MacOS X 10.4 install disc
  • resetting PRAM and NVRAM
  • booting into safe mode
  • booting into single user mode

This is the error code:

Is there anything I can still try?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's a pretty old machine. It could need a new PRAM battery as it's possible that it still has the original which might be dead. Not sure where you can get a PRAM battery for it but if you have the original manual it might tell you which one you need. Or, you could open the machine and find out that way.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah, the PRAM battery is still the original one. Thanks for the link, but I've found some European Newertech retailer, to cut down the shipping costs.

I'll report back when I have the new PRAM battery ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.