Setting up a new HDD in a G5

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the mac world and really am hoping someone here can help me. My work was getting rid of a G5 powermac and I was able to get it so long as the HDD was removed (for information security reasons). I quickly fitted a new 80gb HDD and booted the system with the OS X 10.1 disk inside to re-install everything. However no matter what I try I just get the flashing question mark icon on the screen, I've tried holding C on bootup with no change and am a bit stuck now. I also tried the same thing with the OS 9.2 disk that was in the box, still no luck

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong and how I should go about installing the OS? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are they the grey restore disks that originally came with that mac?

Are you pressing C immediately on power up and holding the C key down until booting starts

Have the people at work pulled the interface cable out from the optical drive by mistake?

OP
P
Reaction score
I have a grey OS X developers tools disk, an OS X 10.1 disk and a OS 9.2 disk.

I've tried holding down the C button from startup and the DVD drive is connected up fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You cannot boot from a developer disc.

Likewise you cannot boot a G5 in to Mac OS 9

And finally the G5 ran 10.2 and above, so that might explain why the 10.1 disk will not work.

You will need a retail copy of OS 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard, unless your work has the grey restore DVD that came with the G5 when shipped

OP
P
Reaction score
Humm, the Box's must have become mixed up as the G5 instruction books etc are in there. I will check it out on Monday, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.