iMac fans go full blast after put to sleep!?

C

code777

Yet another odd thing happened to my iMac, when i put it to sleep the fan stayed on! after a min of the fan on it goes FULL BLAST! Tried to wake it but nothing worked, even the sleep light wasn't pulsating anymore. So I hit the power switch in the back for a few seconds and the fans stopped.

Restarted and everything seems fine but should i reset PRAM or NVRAM??

Just curious if i need to check anything out.

All because of the LaCie, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
LaCie's can make mac's run funky thats for sure. I would just reset but the PRAM and the NVRAM that way they will both be reset and might improve the overall performance of your computer

OP
C

code777

ok, will try to do a reset on PRAM, i did theNVRAM but that did not help thanks!

OP
C

code777

ok guys, i've tracked down the problem to be the LaCie external HD. When I put the iMac to sleep it does that thing BUT the second I unplug the firewire cable from the LaCie the iMac goes right to sleep.

I did this twice already with the same results. When firewire is unplugged iMac goes to sleep right away.

Is this a glitch on the LaCie's end? Is there a firmware update that i should be downloading to solve this prob???

Thanks.

[edit] Do I need to download this: LaCie update tool v 1.3.2 for the D2 Triple Extreame? I don't want to download firmware that I do not need. Which one should i download as there are two versions. one has a .dmg extention while the other has a .sit (sorry still new)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I can not say if that is a problem with the LaCie drives only. It might be a problem with all firewire drives. I tend to unmount the external drives and power them off before I put my system to sleep.

As for the LaCie update tool, I don't know any thing about it. The doifference in the two version is that the .sit file should be a compressed version of the .dmg file. So that bouth should be the same, except that one is compressed and one is not.

OP
C

code777

well i have another thread in iMac so... but it seems as if i fixed the issue (for now)... please see that post - sorry for double posting...didn't realize it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.