I need to buy a MacBook Pro. Should I hold off or get it now?

Reaction score
I'm getting into documentary work and I'm going to buy a new MacBook Pro so I can use Final Cut Pro on it. Is there any reason to hold off on buying one now? Are there are new models or new features on either MacBook Pro's or Final Cut Pro that will be released in the near future?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It all depends on what you consider the "near future".

Apple "usually" has two new product releases/year (last one I think was February). But since none of us have "crystal balls" to predict the future by...it's hard to say if the next release will be new desktop models, new laptop models, a new iPhone...or a combination.

Usually we have no firm idea of what the improvements might be (unless Apple announces them ahead of time...which is rare).

There are always rumors...but rumors can be totally wrong.

I would say if you NEED a new computer..then get one. But then again...if you wait & see 6 months...the "new stuff" may not have been worth the wait compared to the "current stuff"!

Be assured...you're in the same boat as anyone else looking for a new computer,

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This website gives you a heads up if there are any updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If as your thread title says you NEED to buy a MBP, shouldnt u buy one then get updates at later date..
To me the NEED means i have to have it asap ???

It all depends on what you consider the "near future".
Nick
And as the above post says what sort of time frame are u looking at ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well Apple just released new Macbook Pros back in May and just came out with a new version of Final Cut Pro within the past week. So I would say this is a great time to guy one :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" 2.0 GHZ 10.6.1
If as your thread title says you NEED to buy a MBP, shouldnt u buy one then get updates at later date..
To me the NEED means i have to have it asap ???

And as the above post says what sort of time frame are u looking at ???

YEP, need kinda says it all doesnt it. Alright I'm not really helping am I? Kinda like everyone else said, Technology is changing all the time, and so is the price. If you want one at this time no sense postponing it, and no sense in turning back and saying..christ i should have waited a few more weeks! Plus like you know, MacBook Pro is at its latest, (what 2 months now?) and they are shipping with iLife and stuff. (for all you know they might discontinue it later :( ) The most you can wait for is snow leopard which comes out in sept. but that you can upgrade too. I dont suppose it will need further advancement of hardware.
So go for it! :) All the best

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.