New memory not recognized. Problem as simple as faulty chips?

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for peeking.

First, I own a 2008 13" macbook. I purchased 2 1GB 200 pin PC2 5300 memory chips to upgrade with.

I put in the new chips today and they apparently weren't recognized. I switched back to the old ones and those worked just fine. I re-installed the new ones and they seemed to behave the same as the first time (the physical installation doesn't seem to be the issue).

When I try to start up the laptop the white battery light comes on and then starts to flicker. The screen remains off.

Any suggestions?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Likely at least one of them is bad. You can try them one at a time to determine which one it is. Then when you take them back, they'll at least know you did all you could with them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD
Likely at least one of them is bad. You can try them one at a time to determine which one it is. Then when you take them back, they'll at least know you did all you could with them.

sound like a plan, it happens but not often,.. OP are they new, did you buy them used?, if new take them back, used same thing..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.