• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VD2OneX device failure--optical lens replaced, reinstalled, same error--now what?

Reaction score
I've been successfully ripping with MTR and burning with DVD2OneX for quite some time when I began getting a "Burn Error: Device failed to respond, unable to recover or retry" message. I get this on movies ranging from the 90s to new releases, both full movies and just main features. Not one dvd will correctly back-up. Because of an unrelated problem, my hard drive crashed and was replaced, so I reinstalled MTR and DVD2OneX and still got the same messages. I had the optical drive replaced, and the hard drive was wiped clean again by mac while they were replacing the optical drive. I reinstalled MTR and DVD2OneX for the second time, and still am receiving the same Burn Error message. I have tried burning at different speeds (never higher than 2.4x) and this has no effect. The movies I have tried to backup have ranged from 3mb to 8 mb.
I am using a Macbook 10.4.11 running Tiger and have 45 gb on the hard drive free. I'm using DVD+Rs from TDK, Sony, and Verbatim, all of which used to work. CDs are burning fine.
What could be causing this? Better yet, how do I fix this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.