Archive and installing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
For a few apparent reasons i need to "archive and install"
When i do i know this will reinstall the os.
I have backed up my whole system to a external HD
I have all latest updates for the OS from 10.5.6 ~ 10.5.8 and all included software as well as 3rd party software like my eyeTV

My Question is
When i run the "Archive and install " the system backs up all my data to the folder "previous system", will it back up all my current up-dates ????

Im guessing not but am asking in the hope that it will..
Would hate to have to download all updates again..
Cheers and thanks in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's very rare that UNIX-based operating system needs to be reinstalled. Before doing that, there are a number of things you can try, this should really only be done as a last resort. Unfortunately, a lot of us long-time Windows sufferers are stuck in this mindset that a reinstall is needed periodically when there are certain baffling problems.

An Archive & Install will preserve the previous OS and all data/documents/applications on the drive. When it finishes, you will be left with whatever version of OS X was on your original media. So, that means you will need to run Software Update to get up-to-date. You may also have to reinstall certain software that makes modifications to OS directories.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ok thanks cwa107 I understand that its last resort
Further to that on another thread i made concerning http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/159844-problems-my-dock.html i have had no joy with a solution......

Another question to ad to the furore ..... the updates i have downloaded on this system are they in a file somewhere where i could move to a flash drive so IF i do a "archive and install" i can install the updates when the OS has reinstlled
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
After doing the install suggest going to the Apple web site and downloading the X.5.8 combo updater and also Security Update 2009-004. That way your Macx shall be right up to date. if applications transfer well and good but be ready for fresh install of Office and big programs as sometimes they will not transfer as cwa107 suggests.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

and then:-

Security Update 2009-004 (Leopard)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
you have backed up your whole system to an Ext HD - what happens if u boot off of the Ext HD - any problems? if no, then copy back across from your backup.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well certainly sounds like this re installing the os is more trouble than its worth
Then again i do love my dashboard ( which doesnt work anymore) and my dock with invisible icons and not being able to remove unwanted icons.

To boot from external HD command~option~shift~delete???
Or from the cd option when starting up ???
Sorry new to mac and i want to do it right without stuffing up the whole system...
Just cant seem to find a straight forward tutorial for the newbies who need to do such things
Just after the wise peoples take on it
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually, doing what you want to do is very simple. The above statements may make it sound hard but it's not. Remember, this isn't Windows and your making this harder than it needs to be.

To boot from the CD/DVD insert the disc then reboot the machine and hold down the C key.

The archive and install will install a brand new copy of the OS on your machine, but it will move your personal profile to that new system. When you reboot everything should look exactly the same. You can then simply run the update or download the updates as mentioned above, install and be done. The old OS will go into a folder called "previous system" that will stay on the drive until you choose to delete it. Anything in there that you want can be pulled out to the current system quickly and easily.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gents who have all helped me .... problem solved
Love my mac so simple really and im learning every day
Only things looks like i need update in is safari itunes and the os
Stoked and thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.