Accessing shared volume on school computer

L

lokerd

Hello all. I am a returning Mac teacher. I teach photography and desktop publishing in one of the only two Mac labs in the entire district.

The school system has a shared volume on the server, drives L and M. The M drive is a drive that everybody in the school can access, where as the L drive is just for me (assuming I could get to it) with a directory on the L drive that is also for me to share and/or post my own website.

I need for my students to be able to copy their digital images on to either of these shared resources so that the Yearbook and Newspaper staff can pull the images that they want.

My Mac lab is hooked up to a hub that is hooked up in a hub closet, etc., so I am directly hooked up...not through a router or anything. The Macs access the internet fine. In fact, I can pull up the webspace on the Macs, but they can not put any files there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Drew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Hmm.. is it FTP? if it is, you could just need a FTP client, to upload files and such. Or, its more website driven and something like Adobe GoLive (which is what I use and expensive compared to free alternatives) where you can upload files to the websites specific folders.

OP
L

lokerd

Thanks for the quick feedback. Is there anyway to do it from OS9? I have ordered OS10 for 15 of my computer and currently have the 5 eMacs set to boot in OS9 (that do have OS10 already). I am not sure how soon I will be able to get everything switched over to OS10. So if there is a way to do it from OS 9, it would be helpful. I have sent an email to the sysop about using FTP access.

Thanks!
Drew

OP
L

lokerd

L and M are still inaccessible!?!

rman said:

Well, I have made progress as far as accessing PC shared volumes via OS 10. But I have been totally unsuccessful with the OS 9 computers...which is where I am normally booted into.

But the real bugger boo is that I can not gain access to the L and M drives.

The way the network is set up, when a PC user logs into their computers, they server recongnizes their login and displays a L drive that is a shared resource with the entire campus, and then an M drive that is our personal space on the server.

When I try to log in with the Mac, I do see all of the drive that are represented by the other computers, but I can not get the L and M drive to show up. I was able to get to apoint where I could authenticate me as a user, but then the popup list was a list of the entire student body and facult with their user ids, which I was NOT listed. I have not been able to determine why I am not listed.

So, is there anyway to directly access the L and M drives and get the server to allow me to authenticate then?

Thanks!
Drew

OP
R

Redmands

their login is probably running a login script defined by your system admin. if you talk to them you should be able to get the share name... im assuming the L drive is the network drive on the computer and not the actual share name. ask the system admin for the L and M share names then try and authenticate to them directly using the way you authenticated before.

OP
L

lokerd

Redmands said:
ask the system admin for the L and M share names then try and authenticate to them directly using the way you authenticated before.

Hello. Thanks for the reply. I did finally get the OS 10 computers to access the school network...but I have NOT been able to get the OS9 to gain access...which is what I really need for the students to be able to do. I have reviewed the suggestions here to review the Apple Tech Article, but it didn't make much sense. Do you know if it is possible?

Thanks!
Drew

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.