Weird External HD Enclosure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
I bought a new HD enclosure early this year, and ever since it has acted kind of weird. The main thing I notice with it is that the hard drive in it will start up and spin down at ridiculous times. For instance, if I don't use it while mounted it will spin down after 10-15 mins, and then randomly spin up again a few minutes later without me accessing it at all. Even when it's unmounted but plugged in and powered on (I leave it on because of the usb ports on it) it will spin up and down at seemingly random intervals.

My question is two-fold: what could cause this kind of behavior, and is it something I should worry about (as in just have it powered on when I'm using it) or should I just let it start and stop at it's own will?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The external carrier may be defective or it might be sophisticated enough to spin the drive down during periods of inactivity. Check the documentation (if any) or the manufacturer's web site for info regarding the carrier.

I really don't think it's good for any drive to spin down and up again at intervals, regardless of activity. IMO, that just shortens the life of the drive.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.