MacBook Pro SSD upgrade

Reaction score
I am going to buy my first mac, a macbook pro 13", and plannig to upgrade to 128GB SSD that apple offers for 350$.

i want to know which ssd drives apple use, are they good enough in comparison with other drives that can i get from the stores(like Intel's) and upgrade it by myself.

is that(upgrading the drive by myself) worth loosing the warranty on the mac??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple uses the same drives which are offered by many retailers. And, you will not void your warranty by replacing the hard drive yourself - unless of course you screw something up in the process. Replacing the hard drive is a do it yourself item, as is upgrading or replacing memory.

However, why would you want to replace the 160 GB SATA drive (lowest priced MBP) with a 128 GB SSD for an additional $350 premium price Apple charges? Why not wait a bit while prices for SSD drives come down and replace it yourself with a larger and less expensive one?

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks alot for the really good news about the warrenty.

and actually i will buy the mac in october, and if in the two months the price and the capacity didnt change i will buy it with the HHD... and after a while replace the hrad drive with a ssd one.

tell now i was afraid that replacing the drive will void the warranty.

and one more thing, is there a way to know what drives apple uses??

thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds like a mix of Toshiba and Samsung from what I've read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Samsung, same as Super Talent and many others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.