KVM Switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
I have an iMac and two PCs.One of the PCs shares a printer with the iMac.I am going to use a KVM switch to switch between the two PCs,will I still be able to share the printer with either of the PCs when I switch between them?
Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.Thanks Van

Reaction score
I assume that your PCs are networked with either wireless or ethernet. All the KVM switch will do is allow you to use one set of keyboard/mouse/monitors for two machines. It will not affect any functions that the PCs/Mac are doing now. The PCs won't know anything about the KVM switch so whatever worked before will work after you install it.

Warning. Becareful of using a USB KVM switch. I have never seen one that worked properly, no matter who made it or how much it cost. I use a PS2 KVM with adapter cables to the USB devices.

Konan

T

todd51

Like Konan suggested, just share out your printer over the local network through the iMac. This will be easier than messing with i tthrough the KVM switch.

Reaction score
If the printer is attached to your Windows PC just create a shared printer across your network and then add it as a networked printer on your mac or you can buy a USB print server that attaches to your network. They also make one for parallel printers as well.This is how my laser is connected to my network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.