Where is my wireless?

Reaction score
I just bought an 8 core mac pro and I can't find the wireless options to set up the airport internet network. When I bought it I did NOT ad the $50 "AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n" because I am under the impressions that "extreme" is a faster wireless add-on, but that the mac pro comes with a standard wireless by default.
My friend just bought a computer before me and DID NOT add this Extreme wi-fi card either -but the computer DID come with wireless internet capabilities. My question is:
Did my computer come with a standard wireless? If so how do I set it up? If not what do I need to get exactly??

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Extreme is what Apple has called their Wireless cards for years now and has nothing to do with a faster card. There is no slower Wireless card.

If you look at the specs here you will see no WiFi comes with a stock Mac Pro. Look at the Built To Order Options. It has to be added in.

Apple - Mac Pro - Tech Specs

OP
K
Reaction score
That's great thank you for pointing this out. What would be helpful though is if someone could tell me what I need to buy to get wireless internet on my new 8core mac. I searched the apple store and this was the only result:
AirPort Express Base Station with 802.11n and AirTunes - Apple Store (U.S.)
Is this what I need, and is this really the only option to get wireless on my computer?
Again, I already have this mac so built to order is not an option.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I knew you had the Mac but was just pointing out that the Airport Extreme card has to be added when you order.

That Express Base Station is not what you need. I will check and get back to you. I know Apple on the Mac Pros wants to install the Airport Express card themselves, but there was a URL somewhere on how to do just that. I will see if I can find it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All the install guides I have found are for the older Mac Pro. The new 8-Core is different inside. If you do install it yourself you run the risk of voiding your warranty. If I were you I would take it to an Apple Store and have them install the Airport Extreme for you.

If I do find a guide for your Mac Pro I will give you the URL, but so far nothing for that new model.

EDIT: If you want to give it a try, I did find a URL who I trust that sells the Airport Extreme card and they say there are instructions for installing in any Mac Pro.

Apple Airport Extreme- 802.11n Wireless Mini-... (661-5048) at OWC

Unless you are very good with hardware, I would still let Apple do it for you.

OP
K
Reaction score
I can't void my warranty, thanks anyway. It's my fault but because of a sequence of events I was lead to believe I did not need to order that airport extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion contact your local Apple store and first get a quote for sup[ply and install. Not the easiest job in the world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.