protection/maintenance

Reaction score
My last attempt got cut off - I'll be brief. Just got a gorgeous new machine: a 17" MacBook Pro - upgraded to 3.06 GHz processor & 7200 rpm 500GB HD.
Pro Tools hardware and software arriving FedEx today. Yes!
Quick questions, though: more than one Mac user has told me I don't need to worry about viruses, malware, etc. True? How can this be?
Secondly, I can't find either a "disk cleanup" utility or a defragmenter. Where are these to be found? Are they necessary on Macs? This is my first Mac after 8 years or so running a multi-track music studio on PCs. What have I been waiting for? The leap in quality is enormous and obvious. Any help on the above confusion?
Many thanks,
Rudi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
Rudi,
Though not an expert, I have read the Unix architecture of Mac's OS X resists viral attacks. There are practically no instances of a virus attacking a Mac.

Also, it isn't necessary to defrag your hard drive with the Leopard OS. There is a Disk Utility accessible through the Utilities folder in Applications. It can diagnose software and hardware issues.

Now that you have come over, you must change your viewpoint and perspective. Macs are in a different class altogether from a Windows machine. You'll love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
One of the main reasons why Macs are so unvulnerable to viruses/malware, apart from the Unix backbone, is the simple fact that Windows is run on something like 85% of the world's computers (probably more). No one bothers to write viruses for Macs. :)
Disk Utility--repairing permissions mostly--is all you'll need. Macs are much better than PCs at keeping themselves "clean" without much work.

Welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
This is my first Mac after 8 years or so running a multi-track music studio on PCs. What have I been waiting for? The leap in quality is enormous and obvious. Any help on the above confusion?
Many thanks,
Rudi

Rudi, you are far more likely to have a HD failure than have to deal with Malware, and to this end i would check out superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make yourself a bootable backup which will allow you to boot thru another mac if your shiny new 17 has a hiccup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
or just get onyx for system maintenance

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.