Problems Playing Videos with Quicktime and VLC

Reaction score
No matter which player I use, Quicktime or VLC, the videos I have on my Mac (avi, mkv, etc.) will occasionally completely freeze up and also freeze up my Safari and other applications I have opened.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Well, I have never been in this situation but I think first you should check if there is all the codecs necessary ? then try on different avi files to see if it works. If not try to reinstall quicktime or VLC, try to remove them completely first then reinstall again. If the problem is still existed, reinstall your OS X

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No matter which player I use, Quicktime or VLC, the videos I have on my Mac (avi, mkv, etc.) will occasionally completely freeze up and also freeze up my Safari and other applications I have opened.

Is there a way to prevent this?

Thanks.
We'll need a lot more information to really help you.

What computer are you using and what are its specs?

First thing to check is to ensure that you have all of the necessary codecs, but it could be something else.

Reinstalling any apps or the OS won't help, so don't bother taking the time to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.