late 06 macbook won't stay asleep

Reaction score
Got a late 2006 macbook that won't stay asleep when i shut it. It keeps waking up and the apple lights up and I hear the hard drive go "err-err..." then go back to sleep. Then about a minute later it'll wake up and go "err-err" again, and go back to sleep. The cycle continues. One time it totally killed its own battery by doing that all day while I was at work.

AND it's not just when I shut it, it also does it when i apple>sleep and keep it open. It'll just turn right back on, but not go back to sleep - since its open, I guess. Only solution to get it to shut up is to shut it down. But I don't really enjoy doing that since I use my computer several times a day. I do shut down often, though.

Running latest os as of today. Currently messing around in system preferences to see if clicking buttons will solve the problem.

Anyone have this problem? Or a solution?

:Oops:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be several things but first try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). See the following Apple KB article: Link

Regards.

OP
H
Reaction score
i don't know what else to do...would a complete erase and reinstall do anything? that is my solution for everything..lol..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Is it the same for power adaptor plugged in as on battery and what happens if u use the Command/Option/Eject - will it stay asleep?

OP
H
Reaction score
Is it the same for power adaptor plugged in as on battery and what happens if u use the Command/Option/Eject - will it stay asleep?

yes same for adapter and battery. does not stay asleep with command option eject :(

OP
H
Reaction score
made some sort of discovery today - turned my computer on and the bluetooth was turned on for some reason, so i turned it off. after i was done, i tried to put my computer to sleep...and it went to sleep!!

but now that i have it on again, it says bluetooth is not available, and it won't sleep. there's no way to turn bluetooth off if it's not available. i dont know why it would say its available one time and then not the next.

thoughts?

Reaction score
Hey man, I'm having the same problem with my late 2008 Macbook running the latest version of Lion. Probably a different root cause than yours, but same overall issue. When I close the lid, it cuts back on. When I Command/Option/Eject it cuts back on. The bluetooth is off. Did you ever figure yours out?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.