Reinstall OSX Leopard Without Losing Data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
Hi;

A friend has a problem with their 13 Inch Macbook, i think its OSX 10.5? Its Leopard.

When they switch on the mac all they got was a flashing question mark in the middle of the screen, we have identified that this is caused when the mac cannot find or has a problem with the OS or Hard Drive.

Following instructions we loaded the Install DVD and attempted a REPAIR but after 10 min or so it report that it had stopped as it could not repair the disk.

What can we do next.

Should we try again?
Should we reboot from the DVD and attempt a re-install?

If we re-install will we lose all of our photos, music and documents etc?

How can we backup from a non functioning mac?

Ta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
You could run an Archive and Install. It installs a fresh copy of OS X but keeps your data and settings.

If this doesnt work then I am afraid you are stuffed!

I would buy a new HDD install it, then install a fresh copy of OS X onto it. I would then plug the old HDD into an external USB HDD enclosure - "hope' that it will be recognised and that your personal files are there able to transfer across to your new HDD.

OP
JonnyAlpha
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
You could run an Archive and Install. It installs a fresh copy of OS X but keeps your data and settings.

How do you run an Archive and Install is this an option if you boot using the mac install DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Yes, when you boot from your OS X DVD you get an option to perform an Archive and Install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
From what you say Archive and Install will not work if the drive is dead, which Disk utility seems to have reported. Bit late to suggest this but always use an external drive with full system and files kept up to date with a utility such as SuperDuper.

You might like to try DiskWarrior 4.1.1 but it is $99.00 ~ more than the cost of the new drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.