Choosing DSL Modem

Reaction score
Mac Pro - Need Help Choosing DSL Modem

Just to qualify, I know almost nothing about networking or cable/DSL internet service hookup or equipment and am on a limited budget ($100 or less for equipment) so please bear with me as I have been on dial-up forever. I live in the country, (I don't have the greatest phone lines and the service I will be getting will be Remote DSL so a stable modem that doesn't drop out a lot is a plus factor) and don't wish to rent or buy a modem/router from the service provider, Iowa Telecom. They stated that I will need a modem setup for ADSL2 and a DHCP? or Dynamic? to work on their system. They are renting/selling Netopia 2241's or 2247's at a high price.

I am running a Mac Pro circa 2006 with 3 GB ram and plenty of HD space using Leopard and Windows XP Pro in Bootcamp. I have NO Bluetooth or Airport/Wireless capabilities installed and thus I will be hooking up with ethernet cable. My Mac Pro has Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports with jumbo frame support and uses RJ-45 CAT 5e cable (I have no idea what any of this means). When you buy a modem/router, do they come with this type of cable or do I have to buy it separately and will any modem work on this ethernet platform?

I also have a PC that I may wish to connect online but I understand I would need a router/modem combination so that may not be financially possible at this time.

Two possible setups depending upon equipment needed and cost:

1. I wish to connect online with my Intel Mac Pro both on the Mac side and the Bootcamp Windows side, not at the same time of course, and would like some input as to what are the best brands and models to look for in a DSL modem that works on both platforms.

2. I would like to setup internet service for the Mac/Bootcamp machine and another PC computer. I understand I would need a modem with a built-in router or a separate router. What would be a good option or brand/model for this setup if I decide to go this way?

If I can't hook both up financially in my budget online I would like to setup a filesharing network between both computers if possible. Do I just need to hook up the two with ethernet cable?

Thanks to everyone who helps me out in advance, it is appreciated.

Clark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My choice in this scene would be a Netgear DG 834 version 2 or 3 or perhaps even later if they are cheap. This is a 4 port modem router which needs very little set up to play nicely with a Mac - PCs dont know as i have never tried a PC but see no reason why it would not work. But the v2 should be well under $100 Better still find a knowledgeable teen to help with set up then that would widen the choice a bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.