HP ink cartridge not installing on HP printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I just bought a new black ink cartridge (#92) for my HP PSC 1510 All-in-One. I was a little hesitant since it looked like they changed the packaging, but it was the right model so I bought it. I just installed it, but it didn't work: The "Check Cartridge" light is blinking and it says "Black cartridge not installed" upon printing from MS Word.

I've never had this happen. What should I do?

hppsc1510.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it the cartridge is a new HP product and not a non-genuine cartridge? Quite a lot of refills on the market at the moment and these will often fail if the printhead is worn or damaged.

If it is a genuine HP cartridge take it straight back to the store for exchange. The cartridge not installed message is usually a sign the pribnt head will not function.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To rsherid: As Harry pointed out, if the cartridge is not a genuine HP cartridge it might not work. HP uses a "chip" in their cartridges which is read by the printer to give ink levels and warn of any malfunction.

Refilled or replacement cartridges without the chip are usually rejected by the printer. It's a rip off by HP and other printer manufacturers to buy their proprietary cartridges which cost more than double a generic one. If the ink cartridge is a genuine HP replacement, take it back and get a new one.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.