Power Issue

Reaction score
I have a Dual 2.3 Powermac G5. Never a problem. Had unplugged it because we was planning on selling it as we had migrated to a MacBook Pro laptop. Last night realized had some old Itunes i needed off the hard drive so tried to hook it back up and nothing is happening save for a small white dot of light right above the power on button. My fear is the power supply has gone bad since no fans or anything starts up but if this is the case would I even get the little white light if the power supply was bad? Was hoping somebody else may be in this boat before I have an Apple store check it out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Try this from Apple, the bottom section pertains to our machines:-

How to reset the SMU on a Power Mac G5 (Late 2004) or Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)

Also perhaps replace the 2032 PRAM battery may help as she has been standing unpowered for a while.

Keep us posted?

I was going to also suggest the pram battery. The computer is 4+ years old...about what you would get out of a pram battery...or at least suspect it.

My only unknown regarding the pram battery...I've had older Powermac's where the pram battery was dead, and it wouldn't boot properly...but at least with them when you hit the power button you would get the "start-up" "Bong", and the hard drive would spin up.

Not sure if G5's are different, since the OP says they get nothing but the little light when pushing the power button.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, I simply needed to reset that little SMU button on the motherboard. What i had done when I disassembled it was disconnect everythign when it was asleep i assume so it had stayed stuck in that mode until I reset that button. Fired right up after that. Thanks so much, had visions of a $300 power supply bill going thourgh my head :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help guys, I simply needed to reset that little SMU button on the motherboard. What i had done when I disassembled it was disconnect everythign when it was asleep i assume so it had stayed stuck in that mode until I reset that button. Fired right up after that. Thanks so much, had visions of a $300 power supply bill going thourgh my head :(

Congrats on finding the problem...a bit of a headache...but an easy fix once you knew what to do.

By the way...in your initial posting you didn't mention anything about "disassembling everything" (like you mentioned in your 2nd posting).

I'm not sure what you mean by this...but that could have been a very important detail in helping us help you figure out the problem...in case it wasn't the SMU button reset.

Thanks for letting us know that you figured it out...it always great to get closure (a happy ending) in a thread!

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry bad terminology, by dissasembling I simply meant taking the monitor off the desk and pulling the power plug from the tower. I did not mean removing anythign inside the tower although I had to remove the fans to reset the SMU button. Sorry to confuse.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry bad terminology, by dissasembling I simply meant taking the monitor off the desk and pulling the power plug from the tower. I did not mean removing anythign inside the tower although I had to remove the fans to reset the SMU button. Sorry to confuse.

Got it! Just a little confusion on my part.

Problem fixed...good deal!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Saved $300.00? Hmm send Nick and I a crate of beer and all is forgiven!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.