What is the Blinking Globe???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
When I turn on my PG5 it sounds like its going to run. Then I just get a gray screen with a little blinking globe right in the center of it. Then my Mac just stays there. I've had this Mac for about 3 days now and it is my first. I haven't installed any other software or downloaded anything. So Im really stumped here.

Does anyone know what it means or what it is? I'd really appreciate the help. Since this blinking globe thing started, I cant get to my OS screen or anything.

Thanks for the help.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK! Now Im really scared!

My mac sounds like a **** jet engine. Now Im getting a little folder with a face and a question mark.

Is my Mac busted?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If I remember correctly, the globe means that your systme is trying to boot from the network.

You can try to reboot your system and press and hold the option key. You should get several icons on your screen. One of them should be your system disk. I believe you can either tab over to it or click on it, then hit return to boot.

Some one will correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Correct the Globe means it is trying to boot from an OS X folder on the network.....If you leave it at that screen it should eventually boot normally and you can set your Startup disk in System Preferences -> Startup Disk

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41 said:
Correct the Globe means it is trying to boot from an OS X folder on the network.....If you leave it at that screen it should eventually boot normally and you can set your Startup disk in System Preferences -> Startup Disk
Thanks! Yea, it was booting from the network instead of the Mac hard Drive. I corrected it. Everything is working correctly now.

To those who replied thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.