free-up space on a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo mac book 2gigs ram, 16gig Ipad 2, 16gig Nano, 2 32gig Iphone 4s
wondering if anybody knows how to free up space on my macbook? I have 3 gigs left, or save out my imovie project to an external drive, and run it from there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Instead of freeing up space, consider purchasing a new faster larger hard drive to replace the original one in your MacBook. Otherwise about the only choice you have is to offload things like photos, music, movies, and so forth to an external hard drive. With only 3 GB of space left on the internal hard drive, your MacBook is going to slow down considerably.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo mac book 2gigs ram, 16gig Ipad 2, 16gig Nano, 2 32gig Iphone 4s
Thanks, Its mostly a summer movie project that is on the hard drive and taking up space. Have thought of a new hard drive. I will get one soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest real soon. With only 3GB free space surprised you have not had major problems as a HDD requires some 15% free space to work anywhere near efficiently.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Suggest real soon. With only 3GB free space surprised you have not had major problems as a HDD requires some 15% free space to work anywhere near efficiently.

found that out the hard way after harddrive crashed. Good thing it was backed up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.