rearranging order of photos in Finder folder

JoM

Reaction score
I'm trying to burn CDs of pictures to give to participants in our summer program. In my iPhoto album they're organized chronologically, but when I export them to the burn folder in Finder they're put into alphabetical order. I see an "Arrange by.." option under the View tab, but it's in gray and I'm not sure how to activate it. Can I burn from iPhoto straight to a disk? or how can I reorder the items in the Finder folder? Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Jo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
First and foremost, stay out of the finder! iPhoto organizes things in there in its own way so that it will function. If you move or change anything there, iPhoto will not be able to find the photos. Forget about the library in finder!

If you use the burn function in iPhoto, the resulting file will only be able to be read by another machine with iPhoto. If you want to do elsewise, you do not want to use that function.

Now, for your real question. Have you tried using iDVD to create a slideshow viewable in any standard DVD player? It is a great way to share photos with others. You will also have the option to include the photos themselves on the disk that you will burn, so the recipients will have access to the actual files. I believe that burns in the order of the slideshow/DVD. Simply choose your photos in iPhoto, choose Share in the menubar, and export to iDVD. Then you can choose a theme, music, etc. Can't remember exactly where the option is to put the photos on the disk as well, but look for it and you will find it. Be sure to check that off when you first start your project.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
if you are not looking for a DVD you can also "file" "export" and pick several types of output. once you design the slideshow (option at bottom of iphoto page) you can export it to a quicktime video file. of course a computer would be required to view them.

you can also change names and times - manually or by batch. put them in order and you can manually add 001 002 etc to the beginning or batch processing --"photo" "batch change". there are several options including changing the date with the option to add one minute to each date time change. that will keep them in the new date order.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.